Sign in to follow this  

Adjusted Valves = Noise!

Just received my Hot Cams shim kit and finished adjusting the valves on my E model. I set the clearances to the loose end of the spec as many here have suggested. I ensured the cams were set properly with 15 pins on the cam chain between the appropriate marks on the cam gears. Replaced the MCCT with light finger pressure. Rotated the engine several times manually and rechecked. Everything was the same. Buttoned up the bike and started it up. Fired right up, and I slowly adjusted the MCCT to stop the cam chain noise, but I now have a bunch of valve clatter (tappet noise, not chain noise).

Before adjusting, some of you may recall, that all my clearances were very tight (.003" on all valves). Now both intakes are .008", one exhaust is .011"

and the other is .012". They are in spec but seem awfully "ticky". I had no such noise before when the valves were too tight. :ride:

I'm thinking of resetting the clearances to the middle of the spec and see how they sound then. :thumbsup: Thoughts?

Thanks!

DRZ's with the valve clearance set to the upper limit are noisy (very).

I ran mine like this for 10,000 miles, and you do get used to it (ear-plugs).

Now I have set them to the lower limit and it is much quieter.

But if you set them to the lower limit you do need to keep an eye on the clearance

as you will not get much warning if they start to close up.

I shall be checking mine every oil change.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

My clearances are the same as yours. Rode it without earplugs soon after re shimming. OMG. Next day rechecked. Didn't move.Still haven't really moved in 7k.But i think I'm going to do the same as Neil.Just gotta order that shim kit.

My E is noisy as hell.....clacky, clacky, clacky!!! Valves in middle of spec. You get used to it.

this is good to know, I noticed the same thing with mine. Noisy at loose end, quiet at tight end. I run mine tighter and keep an eye on them.

I run mine toward the loose end as valves tend to tighten over time.

As long as I can hear 'em, I know they are OK!

Like Neil said, if you want a quiet motor that makes the most power, then tighten them up, but you will need to keep a closer eye on them. I run mine like this (tight) cause I hate valve noise and like power, and don't mind the maintenance.

There's a happy medium between too little clearance and burning a valve and excessive clearance and beating up the valve train.I always wear ear plugs when I ride and can hear the engine more clearly through the revs.