I guess its not just the CRF450 shroud bolts that....

I am one of the unlucky ones with this issue. When I called the dealer to tell them about it one of the guys mentioned he has seen the problem with the atv's as well. I asked him how they got the bolt out on the atv's and he said they didn't. They replaced the tank/plastic under warranty.

Really not fair if you ask me.

When I sent my survey letter (or whatever it's called) off I included a letter of my own explaining this problem and nicely asking what they would do about it. I doubt I'll ever hear a response.

What is the best case scenrio for this? Do I dremel off the bolt head to slide the plastic off, drill out the remainder in the "nut" that's spinning in the tank, epoxy it back in there and then put in a new bolt??????

I have tried everything to get this out and just can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This happened to me just the other day and like you i was well, you know. I used a dremmel and grinded the head off the bolt and the heat from the grinding will swell the bolt inside the brass nut and when it cools it came right out . be carefull not to grind to aggresive as the heat will make the plastic melt on the tank and it could get ugly if this happens . i had a ice cube on hand to cool it as a grinded to keep it cool. Hope it works for you.....

Thanks vetmx. I will try and borrow a dremel. Wonder if it would be easier to use a hammer drill with a large bit??

biketrdr, I don't have any air impact wrenches. I did try to use a drill / hammer drill that I put a socket on and it didn't do a thing.

I had this same prob with my 05 CRF250 when it was brand new. I was breaking the bike down to grease and anti-seize everything and the bolts would not come out. I took it back and Honda-Japan warrantied everything....new tank, shrouds, and bolts.

My buddy, on the other hand, waited until his bike was like 4 months old before ever taking them off. He had the same prob and Honda said sorry. He ended up spinning the brass insert out and then epoxying it back in there.

Best way to do it is to have the dealer remove the bolts in front of you before you remove the bike from the dealer when it is brand new. That way they will have to replace it if they mess it up.

Oversize drill bit to get the head off and the rest will come right out. I've done it a couple times with great results. Just don't get it to hot. It also works on the two front engine guards.

That happend to me when I bought new shrouds, one on each side was spinning. So I just gave up and bought a whole new tank. Then I sold the old shrouds and tank on ebay (got a little over 50 bucks).
uh, I hope you disclosed the problem with the inserts when you sold the tank to somebody...