Sign in to follow this  

water wetter

I run engine ice in all my bikes, & the temps stay down in the summer heat of the desert - only bad thing I can think of is having to flush more often & not as good corrsion/freeze properties but not really an issue

In road racing it is REQUIRED. I have never had or heard of repeated gasket failure due to this. You cannot leave it in for two years and expect it to be ok. In fact if you are serious about maintaining your bike you should change it at least twice a year. I prefer Engine Ice, but both are great.

In road racing it is REQUIRED.

I dont know about that. A lot of guys run straight water, probably most.

I dont know about that. A lot of guys run straight water, probably most.

I mis stated. In our local club, OMRRA, it is required to remove antifreeze. I don't know of anybody that runs straight water, but it is allowed.

I mis stated. In our local club, OMRRA, it is required to remove antifreeze. I don't know of anybody that runs straight water, but it is allowed.

On the track I run straight water and most everyone I know that runs in the local club here (AFM) runs straight water. I just bought my gixxer 600 from a privateer that ran it the last half of the 05 season in the AMA and he ran straight water. :thumbsup: Maybe it's just different up north?

But yes no antifreeze is allowed in race bikes.

On the track I run straight water and most everyone I know that runs in the local club here (AFM) runs straight water. I just bought my gixxer 600 from a privateer that ran it the last half of the 05 season in the AMA and he ran straight water. :thumbsup: Maybe it's just different up north?

But yes no antifreeze is allowed in race bikes.

I would think you guys with the high heat would use water wetter or engine ice. Straight water is a better coolant than antifreeze, but still not as good as engine ice and water wetter. Part of the reason to not run straight water is because of the corrosion and lack of lubricating quality of water. But it is cheap.

Engine ice is good stuff, I have never had any problems with.

As for the link provided, what better testimonial can you have than from someone who owns a chevy? Those guys spend more time working on them than driving them.

i'm not questioning that they work. they do! my concern is the long term effect that these products might have on the gaskets/seals.

it wouldn't be a problem on a race bike that gets rebuilt regularly but what about us guys that have it in a trail bike that gets rebuilt every couple of years???

i'm not questioning that they work. they do! my concern is the long term effect that these products might have on the gaskets/seals.

it wouldn't be a problem on a race bike that gets rebuilt regularly but what about us guys that have it in a trail bike that gets rebuilt every couple of years???

Again, if it is changed out regularly so that bad chemical reactions do not start happening there is no long term effect. I still run it in a GSXR 600 with 25000 miles on the clock and have never since new had a single cooling or gasket related issue.

Why are race bikes in those organizations not allowed to use anti-freeze?

maybe if AF gets on the track its really slick and doesnt evaporate...

Why are race bikes in those organizations not allowed to use anti-freeze?

Because anti-freeze contains ethylene glycol which is very slippery, harmful to the environment, and VERY hard to clean up.

I've used Water Wetter in my CRF450R for two years with no engine problems and no overheating. I ride everything from the Virginia City Grand Prix to Mammoth Mountain MX. The stuff works as good as Engine Ice!

That was a good read w/ lots of info and input. I have some water weter in all my bikes and will change out the fluid this wekend just to be on the safe side. :thumbsup:

I've used Water Wetter with distilled water in my bikes for years. I've never noticed any gasket degradation or errosion of the metal mating surfaces during tear-downs.