Ankles...ouch

A few weeks ago I overshot a tabletop and landed flat. My suspension bottomed and before my nuts were squished on the seat my ankles folded up (balls of my feet were on the pegs so my toes came up towards my shin) and I sprained the right ankle. I was wearing Tech-4's so I figured that since those are more trail riding boots, I would get some better track boots. I did a little research and bought some Gaerne SG-10's. Cool boots but they seem to flex quite a bit in that same up and down movement. My question is if this is normal for a good track boot, or if I get A-stars Tech-10's are they better to prevent that type of movement. I was prepared for a hard landing, knees ready to soak up what they could, but it happened so fast that I don't really know what happened. The next thing I knew I was planted on the seat with a sprained ankle. Any input would be appreciated.

I sprained my ankle the same way as you described I was wearing new Tech 8s at the time before 10s were even out. We play in a high risk sport and accidents are going to happen no matter how we prepare or try to prevent them. Just chalk it up as bad luck, let your ankle heal then go out and do it again. :ride:

Besides when your old you'll have a great story, "There was a time I overshot a jump and yadda yadda" ?

lol, didn't mean to complain, but if I'm wearing the wrong boots for doing big jumps on a track I want to know it. I've been riding singletrack for many years, and have just recently started doing big jumps so I just want to make sure I have the right gear. Maybe I just need to workout my ankles more to get them stronger, do some calf raises or something. I haven't been able to ride for 3 weeks now and it's killing me.

lol, didn't mean to complain, but if I'm wearing the wrong boots for doing big jumps on a track I want to know it.

your problem is that your feet were in the wrong position on the pegs for jumping. you want the balls of your feet on the pegs for singletrack riding, but you have to scooch them forward so the pegs are under your arches for jumping, or else you can hurt your ankles. duh.

all boots flex up and down (so you can shift etc). the better boots protect against twisting left to right.

I had the same injury ,11/05, that took months to get better at my age of 47.

I reinjured it snow skiing that took another few months to heal.

My best riding bud injured the same way a month ago. He's still gimping around.

Boots will not stop this injury.

I think the best thing is to learn to adjust your feet when you know you are coming up short. I did the same thing, with high quality boots on when I was less experienced and it actually broke the top of my foot. I had to have the damn thing screwed back together. Now I just ride a little different and have not had a problem in 5 years.

I did a little research and bought some Gaerne SG-10's. Cool boots but they seem to flex quite a bit in that same up and down movement. My question is if this is normal for a good track boot, or if I get A-stars Tech-10's are they better to prevent that type of movement.

Your observation is correct based on what I have read. Crossfires, SG10s, oxtars, T8/T10 behave slightly different. Do not remember the details but some are better at restricting certain motions than others...

edit - it depends what you want to protect. I am going to be much more concerned with lateral support and I know someone else went with sidis because his concern was the sole of his foot...

Cool boots but they seem to flex quite a bit in that same up and down movement.
After I broke my ankle while riding, I stepped up from SG-10's to Tech 10's for this exact reason. I chose the Tech 10's after comparing them side-by-side with the SG-10's and Sidi Crossfires. The Oxtars look interesting as well, but I didn't compare them. Some ankle movement is necessary, but it seemed that the other two boots allowed far more than I'd ever need on a bike; maybe enough to increase my chance of injury.

lol, didn't mean to complain, but if I'm wearing the wrong boots for doing big jumps on a track I want to know it. I've been riding singletrack for many years, and have just recently started doing big jumps so I just want to make sure I have the right gear. Maybe I just need to workout my ankles more to get them stronger, do some calf raises or something. I haven't been able to ride for 3 weeks now and it's killing me.

It's been 3 weeks for me too. I sprained/rebroke my ankle and bruised up my left leg three weeks ago as well and was wearing the SG10's, though I really don't blame the boot. My toes went upward toward my shin so hard that my achilles tendon feels like it stretched. I had a bruise show up on my calf and ankle 2 weeks after the crash. I'm still gimping around a bit. Ouchie, boohoohoo. ?

I've also come up short on jumps with the balls of my feet on the pegs. Not a good feeling but these things are going to happen. I am definitely going to be buying some ankle braces or support jobbies. I have hurt my ankle too many times.

I am another guy that had the same problem... cheap boots, came up short on a jump, but it was a big ditch in the Mojave desert.

I now wear Crossfires and I chose them over the tech 10's. I don't think either one would prevent this type of thing, especially if you land wrong.

Consider this... if your ankle is sprained instead of broken, the boots probably did their job.

8 weeks for mine to heel when I came up short on a stepup and the bike just stopped on the face. Severe left sprain but no breaks. That was on the Tech 4s or 6s 2 years ago. Got Tech 8's now and I used the lace up ankle brace which works very well inside the boot as someone else mentioned. The ankle will never be right compared to my right ankle though.

I don't think either one would prevent this type of thing, especially if you land wrong.

Consider this... if your ankle is sprained instead of broken, the boots probably did their job.

Thats what i was thinking. I sprang my ankle almost 2 years ago. I came up a little short and more than likely had my feet positioned wrong. Foot position was the last thing i was thinking of. I was wearing Tech 6's. I believe the boot did it's job in saving my ankle from breaking, but actually i kind of wish my ankle had broke then maybe it would have healed better or faster. Since then i have re sprang my ankle in those boots just doing a little 25 foot table that i over shot and flat-landed a little. Well in conclusion i quit jumping and bought some A Star Vectors. Most comfortable boot i have ever owned.

• 2 months later...

i just broke both ankles 11/06 and my boots folded in half i believe any boot would have done the same i wear berik ovs pros i just hit so hard my ankles buckled in and broke i didnt even bottom my suspension it was an odd angle of impact and my body took most of it i didnt even crash anything can happen