Sign in to follow this  

Joliet outdoor track changes

Anyone that is planning on racing the Joliet outdoor races, you may want to get out there for a practice night tonight or next week. MAJOR track changes were done this week. I'm not a fan yet, but if they groom it and disk it should be really good in time. I may or may not race the 3rd, gonna wait and see what they do.

The changes are it is pretty much a SAND track now with a straightway full of knee high sand whoops(twice the size of the SX track whoops) and sand in most of the turns. Also the long lazy straightaway after the front straight and after the table is now 1 foot deep of sand. After being in Florida and riding down there it didn't bother me that much, but I don't thing too many others liked it. Lots of people parked on the track trying to figure out how to ride it and what lines to take.

Yea I was there last night too. We are talking about the woods track, not the stadium. The sand stinks, they just dumped it instead of tilling it in with the dirt. Also, there is was lime all over the place and it had appeared that the water truck parked in a few spots with the water still on. There were many ponds along the track. I though it sucked, and was not up to Justin's normal high level of grooming standards.

I was being nice, but yeah I agree with everything you said. It has potential to be good if they groom it in and mix it with the existing dirt. Right now, it sucks.

I rode it on Wednesday night. I am sure he will disk it in, as he has done this several times on the stadium track in the past. Dumps and spreads it today, and mixes it in later. The biggest problem I had with it is they just dumped it on the hard-pack bottom which made it tricky to figure out the right technique. My guess is he wants to be prepared in case of rain for the MX races.

It will be good if he does do that, the hard pack was getting a little tired. I didn't have as much trouble with it as the other guys, but 5 years riding in Florida will do that when it comes to deep sand riding.

I love deep sand whoops!

Riding 3 times a year at St. Joe State Park in Park Hills, MO will get you good at them :thumbsup:

Yea I was there last night too. We are talking about the woods track, not the stadium. The sand stinks, they just dumped it instead of tilling it in with the dirt. Also, there is was lime all over the place and it had appeared that the water truck parked in a few spots with the water still on. There were many ponds along the track. I though it sucked, and was not up to Justin's normal high level of grooming standards.

Ummm... let's see...after 4 hours of riding the MX track last Sunday, I couldn't wait to get back!

After riding it last night...and scrubbing all the sand out of my 450 tonight...

I CAN wait. 'Nuff said.

I hope it all works out for the better eventually.

Is it the typical Justin BS or will it work???
I'm on the fence. He basically dumped 2 feet of sand all around the track. If he works it into the existing soil it will be good. If he does nothing else he has ruined the track for good.

Lime/silica/gypsum....whatever the hell it was, was there on Sunday, and not a problem at all. Well, unless you left your truck windows down!

matt u go to st joe state park? ive been goin there once or twice a yr for bout the last 5 years...when time of the year do you normally go?

Actually I haven't been down there in about 5 years.

We used to do down once in the spring, once in the summer and once in the fall before that. There would be like 30 of us down there :thumbsup:

I love deep sand whoops!

Riding 3 times a year at St. Joe State Park in Park Hills, MO will get you good at them :thumbsup:

Matt, NO spacing between these whoops. Sand was at least 8-12" deep. When the first whoop's back side died off, the next one started. If you chopped the throttle for a moment...your reward was a quick 90 degree shot off the track. Many fell to that fate. It eventually became "the" viewing area, with riders on bikes two rows deep.

Nick

Matt, NO spacing between these whoops. Sand was at least 8-12" deep. When the first whoop's back side died off, the next one started. If you chopped the throttle for a moment...your reward was a quick 90 degree shot off the track. Many fell to that fate. It eventually became "the" viewing area, with riders on bikes two rows deep.

Nick

Yeah, that's how they were down in Missouri :thumbsup:

There would be little tracks all over off of the sand flats that consisted of just whoops and sand berms around pine trees. Not a single jump anywhere.

i like sand, sounds good to me...i will try and go more often now.

anyone that tries to soften up a hardpacked track deserves serious props in my book....i went there before they added sand and it ruined a half decent tire in just a few laps.