Sign in to follow this  

Maitenance on an RMZ how is it

Hi Guy ! I woukld like to know, how the big RMZ is maintenance wise. Like for oil and filter oil change ( do you have 2 drain plug ,or only in the base like a 2 stroke, do you have to slack and push away the head pipe to change filter like the old Yam) , what about the valve , Cam chaine do you have to check it very often, to check the oil is it a dip stick or a window. What about the air box is it well made or is it like a lot of recent Honda , and that you have to modify. I know its a lot of question, but i want to buy a new 450 ( not sure between the Kawi and Suzuki maybe even the Yam ) but before to make my move i want to look at all aspect of it, and on a four stroke the maintenance is hight, so for me its important.

Realy, i prefer the Green one, but what all the magazine said about the handling of the Suzuki and the feeling of a big bike whit the Kawi make me hesitate. Please give me your input if you have ride both.

Oil Changes: You'll get a pretty consistant comment that most here change the oil & filter about every two rides. Drain is one bolt on the bottom (actually comes out sideways). Oil filter housing on right side in plain view, two screws. No issues or headaches with oil changes. Go with synthetic after the break in period.

Oil level check: No dipstick, no window. There is a hole that you remove a screw from for checking based on the manual, HOWEVER, most people say forget that, just put 1450cc of oil in with filter change and change oil after 2 rides and you don't have to worry about checking level.

Valve clearances: You'll get a wider opinion here on this. Some people do this religiously, some even say after every 10 hours. I've had my bike 1-1/2 years, ride MX practice for 1.5 hours almost every weekend, and never checked them.

Cam timing chain tension: Again, you'll get a wide opinion here on how frequent to check it. I did mine once about 7 months ago.

Air Box: Definitely not bad like the Honda. Again, you'll find some people that have done extra to seal things. I never have, and my intake tract has always been clean and free of dirt. (on the RMZ450, you take the filter out via the left hand side panel).

Cylinder plating: You'll find a few threads complaining of the plating in the cylinder flaking off on some of the first ones. I just put mine in the shop for top end rebuild and just looked at all the internal parts and cylinder and such, and everything looks great inside, no abnormal wear...and again that's after 1-1/2 years of having the bike.

So maintenance is pretty normal. I think the key is doing the frequent oil and filter changes.

Regarding the Suzuki vs. the Kawi 450, the '06 Kawi had many flaws (and hardly anyone bought one as I rarely see them at the track!) and in looking at the changes they did to the '07, it appears Kawasaki addressed everyone of them. What remains to be seen is if they were sucessful at the fixes. For '07, the Kawi 450 will for sure earn the "most changes and improvements" award, and I would say the '07 would be a much better bike than their '06. Hard to say how it will 'stack up' vs. Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda.

If you are thinking of buying '07, I suggest you see what Motocross Action says when they test the '07s. Those guys 'tell it like it is'.

Oil level check: No dipstick, no window. There is a hole that you remove a screw from for checking based on the manual, HOWEVER, most people say forget that, just put 1450cc of oil in with filter change and change oil after 2 rides and you don't have to worry about checking level.

Valve clearances: You'll get a wider opinion here on this. Some people do this religiously, some even say after every 10 hours. I've had my bike 1-1/2 years, ride MX practice for 1.5 hours almost every weekend, and never checked them.

No dipstick or window, that sounds pretty lame to me, but I guess that is how it is. I would just like to know my bike has the correct amount of oil in, and just to be sure, be able to check with a dipstick, or at least a window to look and see.

You NEVER even checked them? I could see not having to adjust them, but you don't even check them?

As for changing the oil and filter, I ride a '06 YZ450F, and I change my oil every ride (5-6 Hour rides though), and oil filter every other ride or every 10 hours. I also go by a Hour meter/Tach, to be exact with the time, and engine RPM. I wouldn't suggest going longer than 5-6 hours on these bikes.