Sign in to follow this  

Berthoud Hare Scramble series

Does anyone have any info about the start of the Berthoud hare scramble series? If anyone has any tips for a first time hare scramble racer I would love to hear them.

I have been exercising regularly by running/lifting/etc. Anything else I need to do?

Start climbing. That will get your forearms in shape for the two hour race...or is it the other way around...

GO out to berthod and ride at a moderate pace for as long as you can.

Do you have a race schedule? I'd really like to watch one and maybe do an "unofficial" mini hare scramble to see what it's like and how tough it is.

Do you have a race schedule?

They don't have the schedule up yet. You can check the

VDR web page to see when they do.

Unless they change things the serie is once race a month from October to February.

Lots of fun.

Bruno.

Do you have a race schedule? I'd really like to watch one and maybe do an "unofficial" mini hare scramble to see what it's like and how tough it is.

There is no "try" there is only "do". :ride:

You should do what I did:

I saw a flyer for the VDR HS and said "Whoa that looks like fun"

So I loaded up my 1997 Yamaha TT600 Dualsport and headed on over there one Sunday morning.

1112_0_1_2_tt%20600%20e_Submitted%20by%20anonymous%20user..jpg

I had never raced before, didn't know anyone there etc....just got in the sign up line and followed along. Ended up have a blast and I finished and even beat one or two people. It was great.

Then I promptly went to the dealer on Tuesday and traded that pig for a 1999 YZ400

Been hooked ever since. :thumbsup:

There is no "try" there is only "do". :thumbsup:

HA! I was waiting for that!

Did I ever tell you about the time I broke 4 ribs? In honor of that occasion, ColoWife has arranged for us to celebrate "rib night" every year on January 12. I doubt if she'd be willing to add "neckbones night" to the schedule.

So for the time being, I'm only an observer. If anyone needs a pit crew for a HS let me know.

There's rumors of a 6th race this year with some sort of a team set up. I hope it'll go through but only VDRPETE can confirm this.

I would like to see a team race, maybe long, 4,6,8 hours? :thumbsup:

8 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On your bike, not mine. :applause:

8 HOURS, even in a team format, You'd have my repsect. :ride:

8 hours is very serious. What Pete told me what that he did a race a few years back was 4 hours long with one bike per team and you had to switch off after 30 min. Even that would be tuff on a bike. But this is all pretty much speculation from my end because it's all up to Pete and his crew on whats going to happen there.

we just about have the schedule ready & we are 99% shure we are going to have a team class,our first race should be oct 29th,check back with me or our web site to be safe

we just about have the schedule ready & we are 99% shure we are going to have a team class,our first race should be oct 29th,check back with me or our web site to be safe

:thumbsup::ride: best news all week.

Pete, are you adding that team class for all the races or just one?

is the hare scramble on the motorcross track?

In the past it has been part on the motocross track, and part on everywhere else that is ride-able. They have a great loop setup that extends to the far reaches of the riding area.

what are the rules of a hare scramble? how many classes are there, how much does it cost to run? when are the races, are there prizes would a Suzuki DR 650 be able to run the scramble?

what are the rules of a hare scramble? how many classes are there, how much does it cost to run? when are the races, are there prizes would a Suzuki DR 650 be able to run the scramble?

Rules: figure what your class is based on your experinces and age. So there are quite a few classes, like vet is 30yr on up with A,B,C and novice, Senior is 40yr and up with A,B,C and Novice, Super senior... then there are the pros and the 125 A,B,C, novice, the 250 ABC, novice, etc.

You can ride anything you want and have a great time. I don't try to race anyone. I just try to get as many laps in and remain consistant and smooth and deal with the forearm pump. There are a lot of jumps. However, you don't have to jump any of them...you can just role them all. They are all pretty gentle and not at all like a SX track.

The VDR scramble utilizes all of the tracks to vreate a 6-7 mile loop. That is two MX tracks and the whole back area with a lot of straights and turns.

Good times :thumbsup:

Check out http://www.vdrmx.com for the schedule

You could run it on a DR, but I would suggest putting some knobby tires on it, I have ran it on a KLX 650R, very tired at the end.

They keep it pretty safe, most all the jumps are flat on top, but the rythym sections and the whoops will really wear you out. But it will be the most fun you ever had getting that tired.

IIRC it is about 35 bucks all together, 10 at the gate and 25 to enter.

The team thing sounds like a hoot, please post details ASAP.

Mike

Here Is The Schedule....oct=29th...nov=19th...dec=10th...jan=7th...feb=11th...march=tba...we Are Going To Run A Team Class At All 6 Races...

Will the team class race as long as the rest of the riders? Or will the race for them be an extra hour or something?