Sign in to follow this  

How many miles are they good for?

Just bought a bone stock 2005 DRZ400S with 3,200 miles on it. The guy used it for a daily commuter, never been off road. It looks perfect. Just curious how many miles you guys think these engines are good for? Well over 10,000 in stock form? Of course good maintaince and riding conditions will play a role but just wondered if they are some high mileage stories out there. I know I have had older XL600's with 12,000 miles and they still ran strong.

I know I'll be upset if my bike doesn't make it past 10k. I've put about 5k on it in the first year.

There are guys that have put 30K on the E version ridding them hard off-road. That's says a ton for this bike, the s version I will assume is going to spend more time on-road and will thus take less abuse. I can't imagine not getting 50K out of one if you really rode a lot, that's a ton of ridding though and I can't imagine doing that in a short period of time. I think you/me and most people would get bored of the bike long before wearing it out.

I got my 04s Aug 05 with 1990 miles, it has just turned 12k, valves still in spec, just about done with 2nd set of deathwings, in need of and waiting on new sprockets and chain, just put in a new spark plug at 10k. No problems so far. I think she's gonna last quite some time yet.

pushing 17k here and no real problems with the bike. the kids are back home so I don't get to pack on mileage till next year :thumbsup:

I'm just hitting 10k on my 01s. Valves in spec, 3x3 mod and rejetted. Only problem has been 2 countershaft seals replacements.

what I want to know is when is a good time to replace the piston and rings. I figured by 20k I'd do a 436 kit when the stock piston had some time on it.

what I want to know is when is a good time to replace the piston and rings. I figured by 20k I'd do a 436 kit when the stock piston had some time on it.

I just did that, at 15,000 miles, no real sign of wear evident.

Pics here.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

My "S" has over 30K on it. I have ridden it off road, dual sport, street moto, raced supermoto, done 500 mile touring days (flat out in 5th most of the way). I abuse the crap out of the clutch, backing it in at every opportunity, catch air over every RR crossing and hump in the road I can find. OK, so at approx. 30K it ruined the head when one of the cam cap screws came loose allowing the cam to turn out of round, ruining the plain bearing surface in the head. It had not needed a valve adjustment since 18K, so I never put a wrench on the cam cap screws. Matter of fact, the only valve adjustment I ever did was one shim at 18K. And it wasn't out of spec, just on the tight side. At 30K the valves were still in spec. So I just banged on a new head (thanks Eddie :thumbsup: ) and I have since put about another 2K on it in about six weeks. First outing was leading a pack of Ducati club riders, flat out in 5th thru the central MD country-side. I have since moved to western, MD and the bike has been ripping up and down the WV mountains on both pavement and dirt. Still on the original clutch. :applause:

:ride: