Sign in to follow this  

Little help needed.

I haven't posted on TT in a long time...anyway, my dad recently picked up an early 90's KDX200 (like 90 or 91) and it has sort of a wierd problem. It will start up and sound fine and even rev fine, but it just dies after like 15 seconds, he cleaned the carb out, but it didn't help. Any suggestions? Also, the pipe has some pretty major dents in it, will that be too restricting? I know it's hard to say without seeing it but I dont have a picture or anything. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Unless the dents are pipe flattening, tha's not much of an issue right now. IT sounds like you need to play with your barb a little bit, check the air screw and all that. Also you should go thorugh the bike and check the top end. Also go through and replace all the fluids.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

and also check to make sure the float bowel is not stuck, the choke isnt on, and make sure teh fuel line isnt clogged

Thanks I will try everything you said, he just bought it to play around with, no need to go all 4-stroke for life on me hehe.

Not being a smart *ss but did you replace the plug?

I had an '89 KX250 that had the EXACT same problem. I tried everything from gas to electronic ignition but never looked at the simple stuff.

What had happened was the plug had a hair line crack in the insulator portion and the bike would start but die (say 15-20 seconds later) because the plug would heat up and I assume expanded the crack enough so the plug would not fire. As soon as the bike cooled it would start right up again and then die. Replace the plug and the sucker ran like awesome after that.

We haven't really touched it at all, I figured if it needed a new plug it wouldn't start in the first place but that sounds intresting I will try it out, thanks.

possibly the plug. i had the same problem on my 98. maybe the jet needle as well. you never know....

possibly the plug. i had the same problem on my 98 125. maybe the jet needle as well. you never know....