Sign in to follow this  

Fork Covers

I have recently purchased an '01 DRZ400s, and have been riding it mostly on street. Im no bike mechanic and I was hoping someone could explain to me the difference between my factory '01 forks and the forks I see on a lot of new bikes, specifically why mine have the black rubbery fork covers on them and other bikes only have the hard plastics fork protectors at the bottom... Can I ditch these covers or what? Any response is appreciatted.

Some people have tried different options with these. Try reposting this under the DRZ400 threads. You will more then likely get a better response.

The newer forks on newer and racier bikes are USD forks (upside down). this means that the biggest part of the fork is at the top and not at the bottom like the ones you have. USD forks are more rydgid (sp?) and dont flex as much resulting in better handling. Thre is nothing wrong with the ones you have tho. USD forks have dust wipers and dont need the black rubbery thing that your forks have but have the plastic to protect the lower leg from rocks etc. I dont know if conventional forks (what you have) have dust wipers or not. I would think not because they wouldnt need them with the black rubbery thing (called a 'gator' i think). Seeing the 'gator' keeps dirt off the fork leg and because of design, your forks will not get a leaky seal as often as USD forks. Fact of the matter is that if you ride even a bit of dirt, then i would leave the 'gators' there. but if you absoluteley never go on the dirt then you might be able to get away with taking them off (but it will only take a stone or some dust to scratch or damage the fork leg resulting in leaky seals and a new seal will just leak straight away).

in short, there isnt any great reason to take them off and there is no benefit from it. Just a great chance of many troubles.

sorry for the long post, just trying to give you a bit of info

I had a old TTR-125L with the conventional forks, like your's. I took my rubber covers off, and they worked fine, never blew seals, and no dust or anything got in them. In my opinion, just leave them on...

If you take them off there are some KTM for guards that work for some protection.

Conventional forks need the added protection of covers because of gravity. The dirt will sit on top of the seals and work it's way in. On inverted forks, the seals are upside down, so the dirt simply falls away.

If you don't like the looks of the rubber gaited covers, remove them and put Seal Savers on.

http://www.sealsavers.com/abi002/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=1&DID=19