Sign in to follow this  

2006 250f went in for tire change and said bearings siezed!

I took my rim in to get my tire changed and they called me saying that my bearings were seized and that it was gonna cost $65.00 in parts and 2 hours labor.

I laughed and said change my tire please.

Frist of all my bike is a few months old if they are seized is it a warantee issue?

Second I am under the impression that the bearings are a kit that get swapped. NO other parts right? He was saying part 1 part 2 part 3 and so on gonna add up to $65.00. I think they full of SHhhhhhh

Thanks guys

i think that they wanted more mney out of you. but just in case i would lok and make sure for myself. if there fine than id look for a new shop to go to.

Its a Chicago shop in a richy neighborhood and they probably just thought that I was like every other weekend warrior going in there at the mercy of the shop.

Someone is gonna get a tune up if they were pulling my chain! :applause::ride::thumbsup:

i work at a dealer and when we go to fix stuff. we always just use oem stuff. they have to get each individual part unlike a bearing kit you'd see in a parts unlimited book. oem has a bigger mark up so it's better profit for the shop.

If they are seized then go order a kit from motosport or something and save some money.

I am going on a two day ride this weekend to Kentucky too so I hope they not siezed. If so should i buy their stuff? I bet they got a kit somewhere too that is what sucks.

Sounds to me like you should listen to the shop.

I'm assuming that you don't know how to work on your bike if you have to take it in to get the tire changed. A mechanic would have no reason to tell you that your bearing are seized if they aren't. Things wear out quick on motorcycles (especially if they aren't taken care of) pay the bucks for the new bearings and go ride.

I'f your worried about it, ask to see the seized bearings.

Well you bought a race bike. If you did not tear it down when it was new and grease every bearing in the bike, then yes good chance they are seized.

You can either do the work up front or pay someone else to do it later when things break. Your choice

Two hours to replace wheel bearings on a wheel that's already off the bike? That's just plain stupid!

Wheel bearings don't just seize. Something is wrong with that picture, big time.

Either they messed up your bearings or they're just plain trying to rip you off.

Those bearings can't be bad yet unless they were defective. They are sealed bearings so it doesn't really matter if you greased the rear wheel or not as long as the shaft was lubed. Maybe one of them was dry when it was sealed. Yamaha's used to have a bad tendency with the front wheel bearings going bad quickly but they have never had a problem with the rear. They probably named off 5 parts, 3 bearings and 2 dust seals. If a bearing is seized then the dust seals on an 06 will be fine to reinstall as long as you are careful taking them out. I would say that only one bearing is bad but you might want to replace them all.

The bearings are not sealed on both sides. Just one side. Plus there is not much grease in them. one mud race, some washing and they are rusted and need replacing.

I always buy bearings forma bearing dealer. You can find one locally or online. Here is a Yamaha part number. 93306-90403-00 for this you need a 6904 bearing(all Yamaha bearing part numbers are like this), just make sure you buy one that has double seals. Once you get them take the seals off and pack them full

Last time I bought 10 bearings for the price of one OEM bearing. Then I sold the other 6( I have two sets of wheels) on Ebay and got triple my money back.

Someone may say that the bearings I bought aren't as good as OEM, but if you take care of them they will last, also they are cheap enought to replace every year.

I always buy bearings forma bearing dealer. You can find one locally or online. Here is a Yamaha part number. 93306-90403-00 for this you need a 6904 bearing(all Yamaha bearing part numbers are like this), just make sure you buy one that has double seals. Once you get them take the seals off and pack them full

Last time I bought 10 bearings for the price of one OEM bearing. Then I sold the other 6( I have two sets of wheels) on Ebay and got triple my money back.

Someone may say that the bearings I bought aren't as good as OEM, but if you take care of them they will last, also they are cheap enought to replace every year.

Thats a good tip on the part numbers :thumbsup: going to save me time measureing them. For the sealed type add "2RS" After the brg. number. (2 rubber seals) eg 6904 2RS..

I believe I paid $20 for a Pivot works kit from a local retailer, maybe even cheaper online. REAL easy job, you should learn to do it yourself, that includes doing your own tires. Buy the tools, learn to use them, never question a shops' ethics again.

the first thing u always do when you get a brand new bike is get everything lubed because factorys dont do very good jobs i learned the hard way and had to pay 300$ in bearings :thumbsup:

Someone may say that the bearings I bought aren't as good as OEM, but if you take care of them they will last, also they are cheap enough to replace every year.

The 6904 bearing is a very hard one to find from a bearing dealer in a quality brand (ie: koyo, NTN). The Tucker Rocky book has ALL BALLS bearings but even these are chinese bearings. On top of all this Yamaha won't fully seal their bearings. :thumbsup: I have tried everything. I installed the ALL BALLS bearings in my 20" front wheel and went and raced an enduro. By mile marker 90, I was running on the spacer. :ride: BEARINGS SUCK