Sign in to follow this  

A excellent 03 yz250f story with a tragic ending

My dad bought himself a yz250f about 3 years ago and he was the happiest camper there ever was. After changing the oil every 3 rides and changing the aircleaner even more frequently my dad assumed his bike was running fine. He rode it hard for 2 years and then it happened on a trail 30 miles back from are truck.My dad assumed that his 250f was a 1975 2stroke 250 that as long as you change the oil and give it gas it will run forevor. My dad was quite surprised when his connecting rod shot throught the transmision and out his crankcase. anyway my dad sold the yami for 400 bucks and bought a 05crf450 and is once again a happy camper.

the end

does anyone else have any storys?

1.) I call BS on the whole story!

2.) If true, lack of top end maintenance is not the bike's fault

3.) Yamaha's are known for reliable top ends. If he got a Honda, get ready to post his problems 1 more time soon!

4.) Let Dad on the computer so he can tell us what really happened..........if anything

the story is true and on the 450 and my 250 we bought 2 year warranties

nice story what is the point? Your new 450 and 250 also require maintenance...

Why do people think that just because it's a four stroke and they change the oil often it will last as long between rebuilds as an XR250/400/600????

250 four strokes will last longer between rebuilds than a 125 two stroke, but they still rev out to 13,000 rpm and shouldn't be expected to last 3 years without any kind of rebuild.

Three years on a bottom end of a small bore bike is pretty damned good.

I think the point of his story is that he tried as hard as he could to break the YZF by doing no maintenance. He was disappointed that it took 3 years, so he bought a Honda.

I think the point of his story is that he tried as hard as he could to break the YZF by doing no maintenance. He was disappointed that it took 3 years, so he bought a Honda.

Well now he'll get his wish after about 15 hours. Tell him to put lots of money aside. :thumbsup:

About as tragic as Jerry Garcia dying from a drug overdose...... Tragic, yes.. but, supprising....NO!

I think 450Racer17 father is going to be surprised when he has to change more than oil and air filters on his CRF450F.

About as tragic as Jerry Garcia dying from a drug overdose...... Tragic, yes.. but, supprising....NO!

...Jerry Garcia died on August 9, 1995, of a heart attack exacerbated by sleep apnea. Garcia, who struggled with drug addiction and sleep apnea for much of his adult life, was staying at the Serenity Knolls drug rehabilitation center in Forest Knolls, California at the time... From Wikpedia.

just because you bought warranties doesnt mean anything, you still need to keep that bike maintained WELL. if not, something will break and the warranty will be no good because all the dealer has to say is it wasnt maintained as good as it needed to be, and you'll be buying a new motor

The age old problem for manufacturers. You must out-perform your competition and out-last them. It's pretty much a given, the more performance you squeeze out of an engine the less reliable it's going to be. That simple fact aside, I don't remember any of the old air-cooled 2-stroke motocrossers being all that reliable. They were continually spewing oil all over the place, they were so loose and rattly they sounded like miniature diesel engines. I was so happy when they added water cooling!

Now, if you try to ride a four stroke like a two-stroke you are destined to have problems. You don't need to have the tach pinned on a four stroke all the time to go fast. You go faster when your knobbies are stuck in the dirt, not spinning. Use that torque that two strokes just don't have and keep your revs low. You'll save your engine and you'll find you've got a lot more traction.

Enjoy the new Honda, but don't blame us if you're feeling "blue" after a few rides. :thumbsup:

My dad bought himself a yz250f about 3 years ago and he was the happiest camper there ever was. After changing the oil every 3 rides and changing the aircleaner even more frequently my dad assumed his bike was running fine. He rode it hard for 2 years and then it happened on a trail 30 miles back from are truck.My dad assumed that his 250f was a 1975 2stroke 250 that as long as you change the oil and give it gas it will run forevor. My dad was quite surprised when his connecting rod shot throught the transmision and out his crankcase. anyway my dad sold the yami for 400 bucks and bought a 05crf450 and is once again a happy camper.

the end

does anyone else have any storys?

Sounds like out of the frying pan, and into the fire............ :thumbsup:

Hmmmmm.....not sure you can get the extended warrenty on the YZFs.......