Sign in to follow this  

Red To Green Sticker

According to the DMV you can't with your 04. I took this from the CA DMV site:

Green stickers are issued for all California OHVs year model 2002 and older, including those that were previously issued a red sticker, and to 2003 and newer complying vehicles. Green stickers are issued to OHVs for year round use at all California OHV riding areas.

Red stickers are issued to 2003 year model and newer OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards. If your OHV has a "3" or "C" in the eighth position of the vehicle identification number (VIN) then your vehicle will be issued a red sticker. Red stickers are issued to OHVs that can use California OHV riding areas for seasonal use only.

i have a 04 cr250r and it has a red sticker but id like to get a green, what all do i have to do to get one?

My understanding is the only way to get one is to buy a bike that already has a green sticker.

or put an 02 or earlier frame on it. then register it as a different bike

The frame and engine cases both must have a VIN that is green sticker compliant.

So new frame and new engine. You can keep the wheels and gas tank.

Frame only!! My bike is an 03 CR250 with a new 97 CR500 engine - RED

If it was an 02 frame it would be green..

The frame and engine cases both must have a VIN that is green sticker compliant.

So new frame and new engine. You can keep the wheels and gas tank.

Service Honda sells their new 500's as green sticker bikes by using a 250x frame. I think it may be just the frame that counts, or did DMV call them on this?

Service Honda sells their new 500's as green sticker bikes by using a 250x frame. I think it may be just the frame that counts, or did DMV call them on this?

Honda stopped making the motors in 2001, before the cutoff date

Frame only!! My bike is an 03 CR250 with a new 97 CR500 engine - RED

If it was an 02 frame it would be green..

You have a red sticker frame and a green sticker 97 motor.

The motor passes, but not the frame. I think both have to pass.

I know two people with two smokes that have green stickers. Yes they should be red, but they are green now. They have bikes that only come out a few times a year that are green stickered. They put the red stickers on the green stickered bikes and run the green stickers on the bikes they ride all the time. A few weeks ago I saw a bike in the paper that was green stickered, but it caught on fire and 90% of the bike was no good. He wanted $50 for the bike. If I had a red sticker bike I would have bought it and used that sticker off of that bike. 99.999999% of the time they just look at the color of the sticker. They have no idea it should be red when it's green. Keep a eye out for a cheap green stickered bike and you will be set.

I know two people with two smokes that have green stickers. Yes they should be red, but they are green now. They have bikes that only come out a few times a year that are green stickered. They put the red stickers on the green stickered bikes and run the green stickers on the bikes they ride all the time. A few weeks ago I saw a bike in the paper that was green stickered, but it caught on fire and 90% of the bike was no good. He wanted $50 for the bike. If I had a red sticker bike I would have bought it and used that sticker off of that bike. 99.999999% of the time they just look at the color of the sticker. They have no idea it should be red when it's green. Keep a eye out for a cheap green stickered bike and you will be set.

At Hollister and Carnegie they jump into your truck and check the VIN, and most Rangers are not as dumb as you think they are. When you switch plates on a car or put a valid registration sticker on a unregistered car and get caught it is a big fine and impoundment. Each bike is assigned a sticker, thus the numbers on it are there for a reason. When people start switching red and green stickers to bikes and getting caught don't be surprised when they pass a law and start impounding bikes. What is it going to cost them? Nothing, but you will have to pay to get your bike back. Until we can get this POS red and green crap repealed do us all a favor and follow the law.