Sign in to follow this  

KTM's new LC4 replacment!

Here is some info on the up coming LC4 replacement from http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/news.html if you go down the page there is some spy shots of the supermoto version, but here is the skinny... :thumbsup:

The new LC4 690 will be both KTMs and the worlds most powerful production single ever. Even though the new 690 SM is called 690 it only sports a 654cc engine. It is due to the name really as KTM has used all the other model names in the past. The engine is high performance and the first all new single since the LC4 was first launched in 1987. A KTM spokesperson reported that the test riders have achieved top speeds of around 200km/h during testing of the new 690 SM. The engine is reported to produce in excess of 60bhp currently. The 690 SM is the only new bike featuring the new single KTM is developing at the moment, but as soon as all noise emission issues etc are sorted it will be a natural progression to use the same engine in a new Duke III and Adventure model. 690 SM will be launched for the first time at the INTERMOT in Germany 10th October. This year KTM will spread the news over the two big International motorcycle shows in Germany and Italy (EICMA). The RC8 will not be shown until next year for a 2008 release.

Heres some more stuff on the new LC4 engine:

-Its about 7 pounds lighter than the older engine.

-It comes with a 6 speed.

-Considerable emphasis on vibration reduction, and mid-range power.

-Power assisted clutch.

The rally world saw the new motor in action in the recent Rally Dos Sertoes in Brazil--it won!

KTM will race RR version of the new bike in the Dakar, with rally/adventure models reported (Trailbike and Enduro Magazine) to be coming to dealers

floors in March.

The off road versions of this exciting new bike will be debuted in Novemeber in Milan...

Shit hey? More power!? AUSOME!

Shit! the 640 has more than enough now! :thumbsup:

That SM 690 looks crazily INSANE!! :applause:

I think the 05/06 model looks better.

The motor looks nice especialy the six speeds, but the new bike is kind of ugly to me at least. The new motor in the 05/06 SMC would be the bomb.

Bout time they did something with that rattle trap, I do think they are a little miss-guided and late, they should have put there efforts towards a V-2.

Then they might be even with the comps and not lagging behind still.

The market does not need another big bore almost 60hp 650 when some 550s and 450s will do the same or better.

Bout time they did something with that rattle trap, I do think they are a little miss-guided and late, they should have put there efforts towards a V-2. Then they might be even with the comps and not lagging behind still.

The LC8 certainly fits the bill for a newly developed v-twin from KTM.

The market does not need another big bore almost 60hp 650 when some 550s and 450s will do the same or better.

I would welcome a 60hp single cylinder, nearly maintenance free, engine for the street. I'm almost certain most members of this board would too. Sure their are 450's and 550's out there that produce 60 or more horsepower, but they all require exponentially more maintenance than an LC4 does.

The LC8 certainly fits the bill for a newly developed v-twin from KTM.

I would welcome a 60hp single cylinder, nearly maintenance free, engine for the street. I'm almost certain most members of this board would too. Sure their are 450's and 550's out there that produce 60 or more horsepower, but they all require exponentially more maintenance than an LC4 does.

I will differ with you on LC4 maint and reliability. However my 2000 WR400 has been rock solid for 6 years of thrashing. only oil changes and 2 valve adjustments.

As far as V-2 I was thinking more in line with the Aprilia 450 and 550s dirt/ SM bikes

Hi guys. Just joined from the UK!

I am thinking of getting a KTM 640 Supermoto for street use once I pass my test over here in the UK... test is tomorrow!!!

If you were in my position would you wait for the 690 engine (does anyone know when a 690 powered Supermoto will be available?) or try to get a good price on the current 640 (and what sort of discount do you think would be available)?

I'm new to bikes so just not sure what impact on 640 pricing this new bike will have!

Thanks, Gary

Have to agree! I saw the MCN article last week and thought "yuk"! Luckily I have a current model 640 Prestige on hold till my test next week which is a damn sexy bike!!

Yep, I've got an 04 SXC and will be holding it for now. Although, the SXC replacement may look allot better with a proper front mud guard, and the exhaust will have to be allot different as the pipe is running under the cases, I guess we'll see..... :devil:

yep, that front fender is bizzarre.

hope there will be some aftermarket replacement for that.

KTM USA website is not showing any of the 690's.

any plans to bring them stateside?