Sign in to follow this  

Missing Shock Clicker

Ok.... this is apparently going to sound very interesting to most people. While I was out riding, my bike suddenly bottomed out over a good sized tabletop. It's a brand new yz250f and it ran PERFECT up until then. I called the Yamaha dealer and they sent me to the shop that had set up my suspension. What had happened is that the High Speed Compression Dampner, basically just a screw (the one with the blue nut on the shock resevoir) had backed out and was lost. Pro Works told me I would have to buy a whole new shock to get that part so I had them send it back. Corporate Yamaha USA said they will have a look at it in a week or so and determine if they can help me.

What I am affraid of is the fact that it has been modified, even though the clicker was never touched will scare off the Yamaha techies. I want to know if it is possible to get one of the clickers for my shock? How much? Where? etc.

Thanks

Well, first of all I have a hard time believing that the comp. adj. assy. will just back itself out (unless something very rare that I have yet to see happened). It is peened in so as to not be able to come out unassited.

If the shock has been worked on then IMO you can't really do the job right if your not takeing the adjuster out when services are performed. Are you SURE that it wasn't taken out? You can tell by looking at the peen marks as they should be drilled out some, if taken out, and if not drilled before taken out then quite possibly the threads could be damaged.

I doubt Yam will warranty this (especially without getting it back for close inspection) but who knows?

Yam. doesn't sell it seperatly but you may be able to call around and find a larger suspension shop that has one.

I think you're lucky tho that it didn't go through your leg as it came out otherwise........ :thumbsup:

doc

Who "set-up" the suspension, Pro Works? What did it cost? What exactly did they do? If they re-valved it then they should be responsible for the "damage"...

Well I'm pretty sure it was Pro Works, who set it up, that caused all this. They say though, that they had nothing to do with it. A Yamaha techie is coming to check it all out though so we'll know for sure. Pro Works is denying that they touch that part so we'll see what comes of it all.

Would Race Tech have something like this maybe? Pro Action?

Pro Works sells what they call a "HSCD Spring" which, given the name and the price, is most likely the high speed compression damping spring that many shock tuners will swap out and replace with a lower rate. Factory Connection sells these as well, under the same name.

It's a good mod to do and one that I run on my bikes as well.

And to no surprise, you have to remove the damping adjuster assembly in order to replace it and if you don't get them reassembled correctly, they would come back out. Guess you know where I'm pointing my finger.

What I don't understand is how this assembly came out without the oil in the shock not blowing out all over...or are you saying that only the inner portion of the assembly came out? Or did you just fail to mention how much of a mess this incident made of your machine?

Yeah I guess I forgot to mention what a mess it made! When I got off I noticed my leg and boot were covered and oil as well as the entire right side of my bike. :thumbsup:

Basically, all they did (they claim) is adjust the shim stacks and re-spring the suspension.

Well simple enough - if you can find that little spring then I can tell you who's at fault.

Yeah I guess I forgot to mention what a mess it made! When I got off I noticed my leg and boot were covered and oil as well as the entire right side of my bike. :applause:

Basically, all they did (they claim) is adjust the shim stacks and re-spring the suspension.

OK...I'm done! This is like pulling teeth... :applause::thumbsup:

:ride:

No I sure don't understand what a shock is about. I can do anything but a shock. Sorry if I seem a little slow; I promise I'm not. :thumbsup:

The problem DaveJ, is that I could not find the spring... so I really am their bitch unless there is some other way to prove who did what. However, it would seem that someone on here would insist that removing the high-speed circuit is a necessary step in completing the re-valve :ride: hell I have no idea

No I sure don't understand what a shock is about. I can do anything but a shock. Sorry if I seem a little slow; I promise I'm not. :thumbsup:

The problem DaveJ, is that I could not find the spring... so I really am their bitch unless there is some other way to prove who did what. However, it would seem that someone on here would insist that removing the high-speed circuit is a necessary step in completing the re-valve :applause: hell I have no idea

Again? What did they charge you for on the parts list, that will tell you/us if they replaced the HSC adjuster spring...actually those of us that do know what happened, KNOW who screwed-up...THEY (Pro Works) KNOW who screwed-up, Yamaha KNOWS who screwed-up...the only person having a problem figuring-out who screwed-up is YOU! Pro Works owes you a repair...no question about it... :applause:

WE keep trying get the info from you to PROVE what happened but you don't seem to want to give any info out...look at the bill. It should list ALL parts used...should have a reference to HSCD Adjuster Spring or something along those lines, which would have cost you around $20.00...

You can't even clean the shock properly with out removing the comp assembly...

See...I wasn't "done"... :ride::applause:

KTM-Lew is right, the writing is on the wall.

You need to leave Yamaha alone and press the Pro Works guys into fixing your shock.

I guess most of us that work with these things on a regular basis know that shocks don't come apart like this unless someone took them apart and failed to put them back together correctly. As soon as you told your first story we knew the answer. Perhaps we should had made that a little more clearer at the start.

If Pro Works doesn't come through, and you're in the area, let me know.

As soon as you told your first story we knew the answer. Perhaps we should had made that a little more clearer at the start.

Thats what I tried to tell him on my first post :ride::thumbsup:

doc