Sign in to follow this  

Trailerng a XR650L

I searched the forum.

What is the proper way to transport a bike? I've got the tie-downs and block to go between the wheel and fender. I heard something about cinching this down and then opening the air valve at the top of the fork to release pressure. Is this necessary? Any procedure specific to the XR650L would be appreciated.

Mike

I would advise against releasing any air pressure as oil is sure to spray out as well. A block between the wheel and fender is good, but certainly not necessary. The front end needs to be planted against a surface such that the steering wont be able to turn or allow the wheel to slide sideways. Cinch the bike down tight enough so that the suspension wont compress further going over a bump in the road and release one of the straps, but dont cinch it down any more than that.

Dont worry about blowing fork seals as long as you dont try and bottom the suspension every time when tying it down.

The TTr said he had a block to go between the tire and fender.

I use a 2x4 for that on my 300 lb dual sport. Just make it a length/size so you are not compressing a whole bunch. It will be fine.

If you are on rough roads it might be a good idea to cinch down the rear tire so it won't hop around.

Someone told you to release the air preasure. That is funny!