Sign in to follow this  

2000 400 EXC vs 2004 400 EXC

Are there any major differences between these two bikes? Are the motors the same, or different?

I'm going to the dealer that has the 2004 on Saturday to look at it. So far we haven't been able to agree on a price, I told them I wanted it for $4000 with a helmet included in the deal (haven't had a bike in 15+ years). They came back with $4299, no helmet. The 2000 model asking price is $3900, haven't contacted them yet, but it's an individual. Oh, and the 2000 is plated already.

thanks,

Wes

$400.00 to go 4 years newer ( assuming both bikes in same condition ) is a bargain, relatively speaking. I think the suspension was upgraded to 48mm forks on the '04 models. Do a search on TraderOnline.com to get an average asking price on both bikes.

Don't buy that 2000 model, its a good bike but that's too much!!! The new generation bike is much different in frame and suspension. I have an 05' I am getting ready to sell it has some improvements over the 04'. Email me if interested. I am driving to Dallas on the 9th of September by the way.....

Email - ryohr@hotmail.com

The basic engine is the same but there are lots of improvments made over the years. Several minor early production snivels in the cam drive/water pump area on that 00 and the steering is light years better in the newer bikes, price spread should be a lot more then $300.

The radiators are also smaller on the 00's leading to more overheating issues. I'd for sure pop for the newer one but you're right to try and work the price a bit more although I don't think the price is terribly out of line for a dealer. The price on the 00 is quite high though, IMO.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I went to the dealer today to look at the 04, it's a clean bike. At 5'9, I'm on my toes sitting on it, so I may have to lower it a little. The bike has 22 hours on it according to the computer. Can that be turned off while it's running, or is the hour meter on anytime the engine is running? Also, with 22 hours on the clock, should I be ready for some mainenance or top end rebuild anytime soon (if I buy it)?

At 22 hours, it's just broken in. Unless someone took out the battery, the counter should always be running whenever the motor's running. Check the odometer. I have 14 hours and 300 miles, which should give you around 500 miles for 22 hours ( again assuming no one removed the computer's battery ).

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up finding a 2002 model with only 105 miles on it, for quite a bit less than both of the bikes that I started this thread with. I haven't been for a real ride on it yet, since I'm home in Texas right now, but I'll be back in Boston on Saturday, and will pick it up and ride then.

Happy trails,

Wes