Sign in to follow this  

Is our electrical system AC or DC

Hi, I'd like to build a phone charger into my tank bag, and I'd like to know if our electrical systems are 12v AC or DC. Would regular car accessories work?

Nope, in stock form the lights are powered with 12VAC. A dual sport kit will include a rectifier/regulator to charge a battery.

If it's any use, a Jap (DK) 1996 XR250R has both. Everything but the turning light box and brake light (if I remember correctly) is on AC.

d.

Ah, I forgot to mention, it's a 250L, so it does have a battery. This would make me think DC, but I'm not sure, and don't want to fry my phone!

Nope, in stock form the lights are powered with 12VAC. A dual sport kit will include a rectifier/regulator to charge a battery.

??? Are you sure about that?

Motorcycles typically utilize a permanent magnet alternator (stator and magnet in the flywheel) and a rectifier/regulator. This permanent magnet alternator is typically three phase and runs at maximum output at all times with the only variable being crankshaft rotation speed. The rectifier basically converts the AC voltage to DC and the voltage that is not used is dumped to ground. So, to answer the question, the generation portion of a motorcycles electrical system is AC, the loads (lights, horn, whatever) are DC. The danger of adding electronic equipment to a vehicle electrical system that doesn’t utilize a battery or some other suppression device is that the electronic device could be spiked if the system isn’t regulated within the tolerance of the electronic devices operating range.

??? Are you sure about that?

Motorcycles typically utilize a permanent magnet alternator (stator and magnet in the flywheel) and a rectifier/regulator. This permanent magnet alternator is typically three phase and runs at maximum output at all times with the only variable being crankshaft rotation speed. The rectifier basically converts the AC voltage to DC and the voltage that is not used is dumped to ground. So, to answer the question, the generation portion of a motorcycles electrical system is AC, the loads (lights, horn, whatever) are DC. The danger of adding electronic equipment to a vehicle electrical system that doesn’t utilize a battery or some other suppression device is that the electronic device could be spiked if the system isn’t regulated within the tolerance of the electronic devices operating range.

Yes I'm sure.

His bike has the exact system you describe. His also has a battery to filter spikes so he should be okay.

Since he didnt specify and the vast majority of us have non dual sported XRs, I put him in our camp. From the factory the off road only XRs all run a 12V regulated AC system. The alternator is single phase though, but still is run continuously at full output.