Sign in to follow this  

Cargo Van for Hauling?

I am considering getting an Extended Cargo Van for hauling bikes but it seems per the Chevy Specs that a 250F won't fit in the back doors?? Door Height spec is like 49.4 inches and my cables above the throttle body on the handlebars measure like 50". So does anyone have any advice for using a cargo van for hauling bikes? I would like to also add a separate bench seat for my kids and the EXT Body looks plenty long enough just not high enough. One day we could be hauling 4 bikes in this Van. Any ideas?

Reason we want the van is so we can haul the bikes in the van and also tow our 25 ft camper which we already own.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Rich

I use an E350 diesel for a small hauler. My handlebars are also slightly higher than the opening but it's easy to compress the forks a couple of inches when loading. An extended van can easily carry 3 bikes and all of your gear with the second seat in place. Mine is not extended and I still carry 2 bikes with the second seat. The nice thing is I can carry 8 people and pull a very large trailer with all the bikes and gear for all 8.

20+mpg at 70mph is sure nice when you put about 15k a year on the van just for riding. :thumbsup:

Cool. I did not even think of that! So you pull em down just to get the bikes in then they fit OK after they are in. Do you use something like Pingel Chocks on the tires and how do you strap them from tipping over? I was looking at the inside of a van and it looks like you can attach a hook on the interior frame pieces just about anywhere??

I hauled a klr250 and a xr100 in the back of a Toyota van for a while. Ratchet tie down worked well for compressing the front axle to handlebars. No chocks needed at all esp since attachment points are all over the place.

i had a 2000 chevy express non ext.but all the bikes i put in it went right in.as far as putting 4 bikes and a bench seat i duno about that u could easily but 3 bikes and a bench seat tho

Saturday we picked up my new KX100 in our van, we just tilted it way to the side as the door is a couple inches lower than the height inside the van.