CRF70 88cc kit and Cam etc. expected HP

Hi,

Since I can't find a KLX110 in my area I am probably going to get an XR/CRF70. I was hoping for a KLX since it has good stock power and can get higher aftermarket HP for cheap but I do like the Hondas better (I have owned 3 models so far)

If I install an 88cc kit with the cam and do some opening up of the stock exhaust, airbox etc. what kind of HP numbers will I expect? I know the head is not the same as the XR/CRF50cc so I can't find any posted numbers. I assume since the head has bigger valves it will flow more than the 50 head.

I am guessing in the 7-8hp range??

I am comparing this to a stock or slightly modified (134 bore) KLX110. Stock is supposed to be 5 and a bit HP and 134cc is near 8-9HP.

The 110 is 15lbs heavier than a 70, which mathematically translates into almost 1hp. This will be for my older boys.

How does stock suspesnion compare on the 2 different brands?

2 months ago I made the same decision, I couldn't find a klx for a reasonable price locally so I went with a clean used 70. You'll most likley want at least stiffer springs, I rode my stock 70 back to back w/ the 110 and it was a little stiffer. It had so much more power it wasn't even funny, both machines where stock. But at least if you get a kit that includes a head it probably won't matter if its for the 70 or 50. alot of parts interchange for the motor. some stuff has to be 70 specific like exhaust, suspension, etc.. but others like bottom end related is the same. I think the only differences in motor are the cylinder bore (piston, etc), & head. someone correct me if I'm wrong I'd love to know....

from the 88 kit I'd expect 5 or so hp

I would expect 6hp or just a little more.

The basic 88 I have on my 50 has 4.1hp. That's no cam and a 18mm carb.

The 70 has bigger valves and you will be putting in a cam so 6hp should be about right. Run a 20 or 22mm carb and open up your exhaust. Might see 6.5hp

If you go w/ the racehead kit you can expect more.