Sign in to follow this  

2007 450 SX for trail riding?

Hello,

I have a WR450 (ok go easy on me) and planning to change it for a 450 motocross. I trail ride and race hare scrambles. I have ridden a friends YZF 450 and love it; it would suit my riding style perfectly. My mind was made up but KTM came out with their 2007 beauty:ride: .

I love the idea of E-start but hate not having a kickstarter when I am 50 miles aways from my truck. What's your opinion? :thumbsup:

BTW I am not intereste in another 250 pounds enduro...

You should try the 450XC, it is a mix & match of both SX & EXC parts to get a raceyer 450 then the EXC.

The not yet built 450SX twin cam first off is going to leave you stuck with a 4 speed, I understand it will come with two batterys, something like a 4amp? for the track guy who wants minimum weight and an 8 amp? for the guy who wants relaibility. So lets talk about weight! If your picking a bike up, and yes we do that its actual weight is what you feel, add 10% and its guna take 10% more effort to lift it. But when we are riding how we interact with the weight changes! Just for illistration purposes lets visualize a lightweight bycycle, maybe 30 lbs, then lets put a 200 lb hunk of lead into the middle of the frame maybe a bit up & forward of the pedels on the bike that is the "Center of Mass" (COM). So lets say 18" off the floor when the bike is verticle. When the bike is leaned onto the side stand, say 20 degrees to the side lets guess that the lump of lead is now 17" off the floor

When you do the "showroom test" you grab the handlebar and tilt the bike upright to verticle. What our interaction is is that lump of lead has been lifted

1" buy moving the handlebars sideways maybe 10"? Thats a 10 to 1 leverage, but what we did was "lift" the weight.

Then you go ride the bike, once you let the clutch out and are moving we never again "lift" the weight. From this point forward the bike is tipped left to right by steering the tires contact patch out from under the COM. The effort to ride the bike is what it takes to manipulate the bikes left right attitude, not the actual weight! What the rider feels is a combo of many things, trail in the steering (less feels lighter so raise the rear ride height a little) air pressure in the tires (less pressure makes the bike feel heavy) and most important crankshaft weight!!! We could debate for the rest of our lives if its "gyro effect", "stored energy" whatever, crank weight relates directly to manuverability!

He did say he is not interested in a 250lb. Enduro (XC 450). If he also mentioned he really liked the YZF 450 for the kind of riding he likes, then why not just answer his question if you know.... I will be riding my brand new 07 450 SXF for trail riding mostly and will give you my experience once I get a chance to throw a leg over it. My last bike was a 07 450 XC which I was talked into by the dealer, because I said I like to trail ride mostly. I'm not knocking my dealer as he was only trying to steer me in what he thought was the right direction as are people will try to do here as well. For me it was the weight of the bike that was the most important issue i was looking to solve, so I sold the XC 450 and bought a 450 SXF...which is what i really wanted when I went into dealer, but was talking into the XC... I think the best thing is ask people that actually own the SXF and have had a chance to trail ride and harescramble to get the honest answer to your questions. I personally feel if you liked the YZF 450 then you will love the SXF with the E start. go for it you know you best!

You should try the 450XC, it is a mix & match of both SX & EXC parts to get a raceyer 450 then the EXC.

The not yet built 450SX twin cam first off is going to leave you stuck with a 4 speed, I understand it will come with two batterys, something like a 4amp? for the track guy who wants minimum weight and an 8 amp? for the guy who wants relaibility. So lets talk about weight! If your picking a bike up, and yes we do that its actual weight is what you feel, add 10% and its guna take 10% more effort to lift it. But when we are riding how we interact with the weight changes! Just for illistration purposes lets visualize a lightweight bycycle, maybe 30 lbs, then lets put a 200 lb hunk of lead into the middle of the frame maybe a bit up & forward of the pedels on the bike that is the "Center of Mass" (COM). So lets say 18" off the floor when the bike is verticle. When the bike is leaned onto the side stand, say 20 degrees to the side lets guess that the lump of lead is now 17" off the floor

When you do the "showroom test" you grab the handlebar and tilt the bike upright to verticle. What our interaction is is that lump of lead has been lifted

1" buy moving the handlebars sideways maybe 10"? Thats a 10 to 1 leverage, but what we did was "lift" the weight.

Then you go ride the bike, once you let the clutch out and are moving we never again "lift" the weight. From this point forward the bike is tipped left to right by steering the tires contact patch out from under the COM. The effort to ride the bike is what it takes to manipulate the bikes left right attitude, not the actual weight! What the rider feels is a combo of many things, trail in the steering (less feels lighter so raise the rear ride height a little) air pressure in the tires (less pressure makes the bike feel heavy) and most important crankshaft weight!!! We could debate for the rest of our lives if its "gyro effect", "stored energy" whatever, crank weight relates directly to manuverability!

I think anyone who uses a CRF/R, YZF, or SX for trails should be hung, tarred and feathered.

Ha ha ha

me too

I have a stock 07 450 SX-F and devloped for a friend an 06 yz450F in MX and off road. They are very different. The YZ has some work, Tri-star 22.5 triples, enzo susp, drd rad low kit, hinson BTL slipper clutch, gytr flywheel...

Handling: The KTM faster turning, YZ stable (as a freight train, especially mid corner)

Power: KTM is smooth very smooth, YZ is more MX, has a hit at about 1/3 throttle but is otherwise also smooth. Both bikes don't make a tone of grunt.

Ergos: YZ is low, everything is low. KTM is pretty average.

Maintenance: Tie, if you're used to japanese bikes the yammy is great, if you're used to KTM's the SX is great. Compared to a Honda X bike anything is great.

To sum it up if you feel the YZ-F suits your riding style I'd stick with it, because the SX-F is nothing like it and although my e-start works perfectly, I'd rather have a kick start a 50miles from staging.

If the battery thing has you and others concerned, I will add this.

I purchased and rode a DRZ 400 S for 4 years with only one battery. For those that don’t know, the S modle does not come with a kick starter.

The battery never failed and I can not remember a single time where I wished I had a kick starter.

Although it was not a KTM, the concept is still the same.

The 450SXF weighs the same as the 250f with the batteries so If you ride and like the power of the big bore, don't give the non kick starting bike a second thought. Just keep your batteries fresh like any other critical item on your bike.