Sign in to follow this  

cvk jetting

ok...so i came across a CVK40 i wanna put on my 05 SM.

who do i talk to for jetting?

oh...and also about drilling the slide hole?

ive done the yosh full RS3, 3x3, airbox mod.

im at 2200ft

i already found a post about getting a new needle,clamp, spacer, etc. but i need to gt some jetting specs so i can make 1 order for parts.

thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Here you go:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333381

Mine is currently running with the stock 148KH main jet and 2 coils of the slide spring cable tied off, and has excellent throttle response. I had some initial problems traced to a poor repair of the slide diaphram, and I bought a new one at a harley dealer part number 27585-88 for a little over $50.

I rode mine up to the mountains a few weeks ago and it was acceptable at 2800 ft, but was definitely rich at 4000 ft.

You'll probably be happier with the 145KH main jet.

how bout the other jets besides the main?

any pilot jet change from stock?

thanx

No other changes required. I went ahead and put the KLX650 needle jet (16017-1367) to match the needle, but it looked identical to the KLR650 one, though had a different part number.

Remove the cover from the pilot screw, and tune it the same as the stock carb. The stock idle adjust cable can reportedly be used on the CVK40. I didn't do this, and just used a long handled screwdriver from behind the shock to set mine.

It is a tight fit to get the thing in there, and I don't relish the thought of ever having to remove and reinstall the thing :-). Someone mentioned using the E model carb to head boot which is larger for a better fit. The good thing is if you have allen heads on the carb bowl, you can make jet changes without disturbing anything except moving the rectifier below the carb. Loosening the carb boots, and rotating the carb a bit allows the top cap screws to be removed, to allow adjusting the needle clip position, just be sure the throttle bracket doesn't get bent, and recheck full throttle works ok when you rotate the carb back.

This really is a sweet carb, and makes a huge improvement over the rejetted stocker.

Check your slide diaphram for tears, hold it up against a light and check carefully. I think that is a common issue if the carb is old. But your local Harley dealer has the one I mentioned for half what it would cost to get the Kawasaki slde.

Hope your install goes smooth.

cool. so ill get a hold of the needle, clip, and collar (is this needle adjustable by clip position? couldnt tell from the fiche) and also the 145 MainJet. ill try to find an extended fuel screw for it as well.

are there any pics of where to drill this infamous slide hole for better response? im a bit confused on this.

ok...got it all apart.

has the 148 main.

im gonna go shopping tomorrow for the plunger, #145 main, and the needle stuff.

where do you have your idle mix screw set? and do they make an extended one for it?

ok, so i went to my pals at dynojet and they hooked me up with a needle, and an assortment of main jets.

im gonna start with the 144 and tune away after that. should i still use the clip at the 3rd position?

ill probably do that for starters. thats where the kit for the kawi says to put it.

The DJ jets are not the same size number for number to the Keihin jets. I found a conversion chart someone made up, but it was not accurate. Eyeballing the size doesn't work either, because the taper, and orfice depth are different.

You've got the RS3, so why not start with the stock KH148 main jet?

What needle did you get? The DJ kit, or the KLX650 N1TB?

If it is the DJ needle, I have no idea. Everyone who helped me used the N1TB. The DJ is probably similar, so start at the 3rd clip, or follow it's directions if it had any.

thats what im gonna do.

start at 3rd clip, 144 MJ, 2.5 turns on fuel screw.

i guess im everyones guinea pig....ive accepted that. woo woo!! hehe

Picked up same cvk40 to try on my drz400s, was wondering what needle did your buddies at Dynojet give you to try? Do you have the number? Mark

needle # DNO233

from the DJ kit# 2264. - KLX650

you cant get the needles without the kit. but you can get the MJ separately.

Thanks for info...like to hear how it turns out for you. I won't be doing mine till this winter. Mark

ill keep you posted.

i need to wait until i get the damn choke plunger. i tried to steal one from my girls kx125 but it was the wrong thread size. so im waitin for ronayers.com to get my stuff. sheesh, its like worse than xmas eve.

Actually, to me this is way better than Christmas eve and keeps happening every time I break out the credit card, which has been a bit to often lately...Mark

well....dont expect it to stop...thats for sure. at least we're in the same boat. hahahah

not exactly the same boat, used to live in Vegas, that boat got to hot, had to leave. Back in the 60's could ride anywhere, anytime off road, hear it's not so anymore. Anyway thanks for info, will probably get SS FMF header and fit to stock muffler for now and see how it works, unless I found a good deal somewhere. Mark

Hmmm, getting old I guess, just answered post on headers to post on CVK40 carb questions...better go take my meds and start over...M

get a yosh. you wont be disappointed.

hehe

and ill take the heat over the cold any day.