Sign in to follow this  

leaky fork seals... help?

i was recently looking in to selling my 1996 Xr400 but i noticed that there are some things that need some attention first. The fork seal on the left is definitely leaking and from my experience with my jeep Cherokee if one side is gone the other is well on its way. first off i was wondering if that theory is true or not. should i replace all or nothing... or is one side OK to do. and second off, is this something that i can handle at home with the help of a shop manual or do i need special tools. any and all help is appreciated..thanks to all

that would be sweet if it worked... if i try that tonight and there is no oil tomorrow would you say it worked for sure?

If you clean a bunch of dirt from that area and it does not leak overnight, I would give it a ride around tomorrow then check for oil to be sure. It has worked for me in the past.

i went out tonight and cleaned a lot of dirt out from the seal with the film trick. it is up on the atv jack for the night. thanks for all the help i hope it works.

I found any easy way to change a fork seal on conventional forks a while back on the net somewhere so I'll briefly describe this method.

First, with your bike on a stand and forks fully extended, remove both fork caps.

Next, add as much fork oil as you can to both forks. Replace both fork caps and snug them up but not too tight, as you'll need to remove them later.

Completely remove forks from bike.

Carefully remove both dust covers and the circlip things from the top of both oil seals.

Now comes the exiting part. You will need these things to continue. A car/truck, bottle jack/scissor jack, a 2X4 and the side of your house or any other immovable flat surface.

The idea here is to wedge your forks(one fork tube at a time) between the tire of your vehicle and your choice of immovable objects with the bottle jack inbetween. Use the 2X4 to span the diameter of your tire and to provide a flat surface for your jack. You then slowly jack or compress your forks and the pressure from the over filled fork tubes will force the seal out.

It sounds involved but actually it was really easy and requires no special tools.

I also made a seal driver by cutting a piece of PVC pipe lengthways and then tapping the new seal in place. You'll need to put something over the end of the fork tube before sliding on the new seal as the tube is sharp on the end. I just used a plastic bag and then carefully slid the new seal over it and into position. Of course draining and refilling your forks with new oil is also necessary at this time.

I now have inverted forks on my XR so this method no longer works for me but I'd be happy to try and explain this method further if my descrition is too confusing.