Sign in to follow this  

Wr125

Hey Guys,

I have just bought a Year 2000 Husky WR125, with only 1000 miles on the clock, and only been offroad three times. It was a demo bike for a shop in the republic of Ireland. Collecting it this week.

It cost me £1650, (roughly $3000), from a budget of £2000 (roughly £3700) meaning I have roughly $700 left for upgrades.

Its already got a good spares kit (cables, filters, tubes etc) and has acerbis hand guards fitted.

What do you reckon I should buy first?

Bashguard? Exhaust? Ideas?

Anyone got any longterm experience of these bikes?

Let me know thanks.

Jonny Weston

Get a skid plate made by CRD or similar.Go for a V-force 3 reed cage maybe a 2c pipe if you really want.Just maintain the motor fresh & with new piston now & again they run great.

I've got an 01, which is pretty much the same. Same motor, slightly different frame geometry. The engines are bullet proof and the stock pipes are pretty good. I my experience the best performance mods were buying VForce reeds and getting the jetting right. There has been a very detailed thread on this under 'CR125 performance tuning' in the TE forum next door.

For what it's worth the jetting which really woke mine up is 370 main, 32.5 pilot, Sudco 6GDY12-59 needle third position from top, airscrew 1 and 7/8th turns out (courtesy of MXmark). You'll have to send off for the needle, but it's worth it IMHO.

Also check the pipe doesn't have the restrictor washer welded into the front of it where it joins the cylinder. Can't imagine it will still be there but you never know!

Good luck, you'll love the bike. Seeing a local expert's new WR125 in the parc ferme back in 2000 in the uk was what made me go out and buy one. He was going well on it too. This is back in the era when Petteri Silvan was winning the World Enduro Chamionship each year on one.

My '02 WR125 is a great bike with more power and grunt than a 125 should have. I pre-rode and swept for my club's enduro this past weekend and it will climb some nasty hills and go through some awful mud and ruts. My '00 WR250 is pretty lonely these days. V-Force 2 reeds were stock in '02, I also have Power Now style carb divider plates and a Dyno Port Torque Pipe(which is good for tight technical style of riding in Eastern North America). Enjoy the bike!

Norman

Hey there Norman,

Dude you seem like a guy that knows a lot about a lot... what effect did the power now have on the bike....it seems like a moderately inexpensive modification to make to the bike?

And the Torque pipe...forgive me but I am unfamiliar with this? What is it and what does it do....PLEASE TEL ME IT ADDS TRACTABILITY AND TORQUE....THE MORE THE BETTER I RECKON!!

Do you have photos of your 02 Example?

JW

Power Now will increase your low end power through better throttle response. Torque pipe will increase and lengthen(the mid range will hit a little later) the low end portion of the power band. You give up a smidgen of top end to get more power down low without losing traction. I was riding today in some very wet technical conditions and not having to clutch all that much. Aftermarket Euro pipes(2C, Doma, etc) are more mid-top pipes for that fast, open WEC stuff. US pipes like FMF and DynoPort are good for lowend, Pro-Circuit is more like a Euro pipe.

Norman

pardon my ignorance, but where are all the wr125's? all i ever see on ebay are cr125's. are the wr's all 6 speeds? i got desperate and got a gasgas 125 that came along but i'm still looking for a wr125.

by the way, i have a te450 but am going back to 2-str's , they are more fun, no doubt. i'm also an over 60 geezer!

where should i be looking? mikey

WR125's are out there(at least in the east), but a small number compared to the rest. Also, no 2 strokes were imported in '05 as they had a glut of CR125's leftover from '04. I wanted an '06, but couldn't afford one and my '02 popped up. Check with Hall's and Bottones, best bet may be an '07. I would skip a CR unless it's a "Woods Kitted" one with the WR ignition. I've ridden both and the WR flywheel makes the bike.

Norman

I'm looking to put my kid on a WR 125 for the 07 GNCC season. He's now on KTM SX 125. I don't want to spend the money on a KTM 200 and there contigency isn't there like Husky's. Whats the biggest I can build the WR into.

From my research I think there is no room to get a longer stroke out of the motor. But Uptite does a overbore that creates a 166.

Ferracci has a 135 that they claim 39hp out of for $599.

They have a 144cc kit coming but not for 6 weeks according to FBF.

Just Read TMX here in the UK Shows testing new 07's.They say factory is making a new cylinder with 150cc & 200cc variations available all based on the 125.In particular they said for the US market.Can wait!