Sign in to follow this  

1985 rm250 HELP!!

I bought this bike about a week ago it has a new topend. I can get it to start but it wont run very long before it dies. after it dies it wont start back for a while and when kicking it over it back fires. could this just be as simple as a spark plug or could it be something else. Help me please i am new to the 2 stroke dirt bikes. i had a blaster but it is nothing like this.

well i would start by first changing the plug.then if that dosnt work check the carb for crap or stuck floats.

You have a fuel flow issue.

Start by pulling the fuel line loose from the carb. Turn the gas on to see if it flows freely from the tank. If it doesn't, either the screen in the petcock is plugged or the tank vent (in the cap) is plugged. If it flows freely, then the problem is in the carb. Either the float is set way too low, the float is stuck closed, or the fuel inlet has dried fuel deposits blocking it. If that's the case, then the rest of the carb is probably gunked up as well, especially the pilot jet. Clean the carb and set the float height.

it is nothing in the carb i cleaned it earlier today and that wasnt the problem. The bike was running until i parked it over night and then it wouldnt start.

i have the bike running now i have another question would a bad base gasket cause the coolant and the tranny fluid to mix... let me know as soon as possible i am ready to ride this monster.

water pump seal leaking (a bad base gasket wouldnt put coolant in to the gear box) ,but from what i have read you need to split the crank case to replace it :thumbsup: i think mine has a little leak

The water pump impellor is in the outer cover on my 1992 RM250 so it's easy enough to change the seal. (No need to split crankcases) Not familiar with the earlier models but I'd guess they'd be similar.

nice one that made me a happy bunny thought it looked simler to my ts 125

chancho196 knows his stuff and since looking at a parts catalog i am sure he's correct

sorry for worring you i got upset myself. lol i was thinking of puting some of that seal condishner in the gear box :thumbsup: