Sign in to follow this  

break in question

i got a rmz250 and im planning on breaking it in saturday then racing on sunday so does this sound good.do 1 heat cycle (warm it up shut it off) then go out on the track and ride 20mins of medium pace laps going through all gear accelerating and decellerating then come in let it cool completely then go bac out do another 20mins of hard laps staying off the rev limiter then come in let cool completely...then change the oil put new filter in it then just ride it at race pace for the rest of saturday and race on sunday?/??sound good?

Here's mine, just because I went and got the manual...it's for a YZ450F, but four-stroke is a four-stroke motocross bike either way you put it. Check to see if you're manual has break-in steps though.

1. Before starting the engine, fill the fuel tank with fuel.

2. Perform the pre-operation checks on the machine

3. Start and warm up the engine. Check the idle speed, and check operation of controls and the "ENGINE STOP" button. Then, restart the engine and check it's operation within no more than 5 minutes after it is restarted.

4. Operate the machine in the lower gears at moderate throttle openings for five to eight minutes.

5. Check how the engine runs when the machine is ridden with the throttle 1/4 to 1/2 open (low to medium speed) for about one hour.

6. Restart the engine and check the operation of the machine throughout its entire operating range. Restart the machine and operate it for about 10 to 15 more minutes. The machine will now be ready to race.

so basically go through all the gears while accelerating and decellerating

With breaks...yeah, basically that's it. I did it exactly how my manual said though, my bike is working great, and the power is unbelievable.

i did the heat treatment, then road a few hundred feet down the street, next day, hopped on the track like it was normal. Asked my mechanic and he said, if its gonna blow up it will in the first 20 sec of having a new top end.