Sign in to follow this  

Los Gaviotos near Ensenada riding info please help!!!

We are going to Los Gaviotos near Ensenada for labor day (4 days of riding) and want to get a good taste of Baja seeing we are running the Baja 500 this year and have never riden there before :thumbsup: . Can anyone help with loops, riding areas near there and any info. I know its a ways down but we would love to run to Mikes sky ranch one day any ideas guys. The famous ship wreck, Beach runs too if possible. Is most of last years baja 500 open for runnign on the coast side? We were thinking of running it backwards to stay along the coast for heat reasons. Any do's and dont for this time of year. Thanks in advance.

Mikes is doable in a day if you just stop for fuel and lunch. Any major breakdowns besides a flat tire will put you into dark though. Take lights in case. Steny

Best bet is to find someone who knows where they are going. If you go off the course map from June's 500 you'll miss a crucial gas stop within your first 35 miles. Further up into the forest you'll need to know where you are going as well. As for the coast route you'll have to go down the pavement 30 miles south to Sto. Thomas and go out from there. Scenic ride and some good cervesa stops. All dirt roads.

Is your light stock? Whats your fuel range (Baja range is different because your riding more open throttle)? Are you staying at Los Gaviotas near Puerto Nuevo?

Sh-- your making me want to go down and ride! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses, yes thats where we are staying. I have a dual halogen light set up and a desert tank but the others are stock WR's and CRFX's. Any info on the ship wreck and how to get there, what town is it in? Thanks again guys.

Any info on the ship wreck and how to get there, what town is it in? Thanks again guys.

Here is a low res scan of the area that has quatro casas and the shipwreck. I believe there is more then one but this one might be what you are talking about.

http://www.hollandforloans.com/pics/page%2010%20baja%20almanac.pdf

if you look at the map down towards the bottom, costal, is Camalu. If you follow the road to the coast it bellies north. Where it hits the next point up is the shipwreck. El Barco, Punta San Jacinto is what the map shows but it is hard to read on this scan. That whole stretch of coast is really pretty.

:thumbsup:

Do you mean Gaviotas that's up north of Puerto Nuevo?

If so, that's not really "near" Ensenada. It's a good day ride with all types of terrain (even some killer AA) just getting from PN to Ens.

If you're looking for riding near Gaviotas more people would understand if you call it Rosarito.

Good point BajaBoundMoto. Yes we are staying in Gaviotos which is closer to rosarito but we planned on probley trailering the bikes down to the south side of Ensenada or maybe down to Santo Tomas or possibly as far down as Valle De Trinidad so that we are a little closer to some coastal riding. Is this a good idea or is there enough riding by the coast where we are staying? By the coast meaning within 10 miles or so just to keep the heat down a little.

Villa T is no where near the beach. Best bet, if you are not sure where you are going is to find someone that is. Not sure what else I can tell you. Good Luck.

Yeah I know its not close to the beach but it seems to be a great area to ride if we were going to go inland i thought. Other than Valle t We probley will stay along the coast as far north as Gaviotos and as far south as Camula, we have 5 days but will be driving and or trailering the bikes back to Gaviotos every night. Any help or suggestions on those areas other than the ship wreck? As for never being there, I have studied every map I can and seem to know which towns have gas,where the main trails out of each of these towns go and where they are relative to eachother so hopfully this will help as much as it can. I was just hoping that someone has riden this area a lot and could shed some insight!!!

"we have 5 days but will be driving and or trailering the bikes back to Gaviotos every night. "

Why?

Why?
Yeah, you'll spend SO much time loading/unloading and driving it'd be a waste. You should do some nights out like at Mikes Ranch.

Believe me I wish we could but we're staying in a rented house and the wives are going to hang out on the beach during the day so we have to go back. I would love to just keep riding to pirates cove one day then San Telmo to Mikes but maybe next trip for this one we are stuck in one place??? :thumbsup: Thats why i keep asking about this area in general because we cant go much further in one day...

If the wives are adventurous, then get up early and all go to the beach north or south of Erendira. The non riders can hang out at the beach and the riders do trips up and down the coast. Cook up some fish and have a bar-b-que. Maybe 1 1/2 hours from where you will be staying. They can get to experience the non-touristy part of Baja.

If they are not adventurous, then the riders stage out of Santo Tomas and ride down the coast. Meet the rest back in Ensenada late afternoon for cocktails.

My two centavos.

Oh yeah! One other thing. You may want to check and see if they will let you bring a trailer into Gaviotas. They are pretty strict on their rules and I know they don't allow motorcycles being riddin in and out. They only allow a certain amount of cars per house as well. Its a gringo compound with rules. I have had to put some cash in the guards hands at times for extra parking. Great family spot though!