Sign in to follow this  

250 2 strokes

what is the best 2 stroke 250 from 99-03? i need it to climb hills go through deep mud, handle rocks, and an mx track, i ride aggresivly on my 80 and dont really want a 125, i dont know if it has the power to handle my trails easily, i am 5'4 in boots and wiegh 115 in full gear.

I think for your weight a 250 is way too much. I would get a 250 four stroke.

the weight will not be a problem i have no problem with the weight of a 230 which weights more. i dont really like 4 strokes they are hard to start and they are to expensive for me.

Go with a 125 or 250F. A 250 2-stroke would spit you off of it in a hurry.

I out weigh you by 100 pounds and still get occassionally surprised by the powerband kicking in :thumbsup:

Go with a 125 or 250F. A 250 2-stroke would spit you off of it in a hurry.

I out weigh you by 100 pounds and still get occassionally surprised by the powerband kicking in :thumbsup:

i have rode 125s and i am not impressed with the 3 i have rode, a 97 yz125, a 98 rm125 and a 04 cr125 besides i would rather be scared of a bike for a while and grow into it than get a 125 and get bored in a few months

But a jump from an 80 to a 250 is a bit intense. I say, go with a 125. I have one, and even though my 250 is my main bike, the 125 is still fun, and plenty powerful nonetheless. And, with your light weight, the kicker powerband of the 250 can really catch you off guard. Honestly, get a 125. When you get bored with it (which you shouldn't, for a while) you can always sell it, and a 250 isn't much more expensive.

Haha the less weight there is on the bike, the more the tire will spin, and not hook up and buck him off lol. It sounds like to me he is ready for the bike. At least for the type of riding he wants to do.

I have a 2002 YZ250 and have no complaints. I do mostly desert riding and some woods riding, and its an awesome bike. Im sure the other brands are good too, but I have no complaints about mine.

But a jump from an 80 to a 250 is a bit intense. I say, go with a 125. I have one, and even though my 250 is my main bike, the 125 is still fun, and plenty powerful nonetheless. And, with your light weight, the kicker powerband of the 250 can really catch you off guard. Honestly, get a 125. When you get bored with it (which you shouldn't, for a while) you can always sell it, and a 250 isn't much more expensive.

I went from a TTR125 to a 98 YZ250 with no problems at all. If anything, the jump made me a much better rider.

You might have a hard time touching the ground, a 125 is hard to get bored with. But if you want a 250 get a 250, I say a kawasaki kx... I love kawi's but I know yamaha's have really really strong engines.... I haven't heard to much about hondas. Goodluck

what is the best 2 stroke 250 from 99-03? i need it to climb hills go through deep mud, handle rocks, and an mx track, i ride aggresivly on my 80 and dont really want a 125, i dont know if it has the power to handle my trails easily, i am 5'4 in boots and wiegh 115 in full gear.

lol my buddy is 175lb, 5'9 prob about an inch taller in gear and he is on his tip toes on his YZ250 its too much bike for you on the trails probably in general. Just my $0.02

I say get a 200sx! More power than you will be able to handle, but still the size of a 125. I'm 5'9" and If I lose my balance on anything off camber on my 250sx i'm going over. It's not a big deal, but at 5'4 in boots your gonna struggle. I recommended the 200 in your last thread I believe, and I'm recommending it again.

I dont think its too big. im 5' 5" and 120. And went from a crf150 to a CR/KX250

a 250 would eat you alive and then poop you out then proceed to burnout on the poopy, get a 125. idc what you say a 250 is too big and tall, and if you come to a off camber corner and you put your down your foot your screwed. and your 5' 4" in boots are you like 12. but what ever get your 250. but you will have a hard time kicking it, riding it, picking it up, basically you will have a hard time. stick to your 80 or whatever. and a 125 can handle everything you throw at it. many guys ride faster on 125s in the woods that a 250 in the woods. but i think your being a hardass and taking more than you can handle. but thats just my 2 cents but you will prolly just ignore me and when you try to pick that oh so powerfull 250 you wanted up on the side of a hill all i can say is.... i told you so. :thumbsup:

i really think it would be a mistake to buy a 250. u dont need it. a newer 125 has tons of power especially a yz or kx. honda tends to be slower. like the guy above said, if u fall in the woods especially after riding and being tired, ur going to have a hard time getting back on the bike. im not saying ur weak but when u have to pick the bike up after falling, it seems a whole lot taller and heavier. even with my 125, after falling at the track, i dont even feel like picking the bike up, especially in trails and im not weak. plus i have about 30lbs. and 5" on u. u can do what u want but i say get a newer 125 and i really doubt u will get bored with it.

i got a 2000 yz250 and came from a xt350 the xt was a blast i could ride like ricky on it the yz took awhile longer to learn to tap out but i had it after 4 or 5 rides in initial hit of the powerband is amazing i love the bike its fast and fun i can almost ride it to its full potential but i am also 5'9 170 pounds it fits me perfect if i was you id got for the 125 ten get a 250 its only a few hundred $ differnace down the road the 250 would be a little to much for a little person comin of an 80 for sure what kind of 80 is it if u say PW id smack u for even thinking of it cause they only make 85'snow

a 250 wouldn't be to big for MX i guess. but in slow off-road conditions like he says he's gonna be doing its to tall.

When I went to a 125, it was a waste of time - not nearly enough power (I'm 5'10" ~ 160lbs)... I had it for about a month, and got my CRF450 - So go ahead and get the 250 - also, I have a feeling yer gonna have a tough time selling a 125 once yer done with it, since everyone's gone to 250F's. Go with the 250, since thats what you want, and if it's too much bike, it'll be way easier to sell than a 125, then you can step back down! As for which one, I would definitely reccommend a YZ250. I've got an '01, and it's absolutely the most versatile and reliable bike I've owned to date. An absolute blast to ride, with the perfect powerband - makes power everywhere, so nothin ever sneaks up on you power-wise. You can get these bikes for about $2200 - huge bargain IMHO. If you decide on the YZ, dont go with anything older than a 2000, it took Yamaha a couple years to get that motor crankin' - the '98 & '99's are a bit sub-par by comparison.

lol my buddy is 175lb, 5'9 prob about an inch taller in gear and he is on his tip toes on his YZ250 its too much bike for you on the trails probably in general. Just my $0.02

Haha dont be telling everyone what an idiot I look like when I stop and cant touch the ground :thumbsup:

But seriously a 125 is the same height, a tad bit lighter but much harder to ride on tight trails. If you have throttle control a 250 is the way to go.

He came off an 80, where the power is much more erratic and harder to control, so if he has any sense about how to control the power of a 250 he'll do just fine. Might have to lower the suspension a bit, but I would geuss you'd have to do that on a 125 also.