Sign in to follow this  

where's the oil in my XR250????

I recently bought a 99 XR250R and since the bike was new to me i was checking the oil frequently. the bike appeared to be using oil but it doesnt smoke and the plug isn't fouled. an oil change showed that there was about .5 qts too much oil in the bike and after putting the recommended amt. of oil back in, its not showing as full on the dipstick. any ideas as to why the oil isnt all getting back into the frame? Is this a problem or just live w/ it? thanks.

Measuring the oil on the XR is tricky. Search the forum for the correct procedure (as per the manual). It's a pain to do properly.

Cheers,

d.

I'm pretty sure you need to run the bike at idle for about five minutes, then check the level. That's the process on my 400 anyway. Enjoy your new toy.

I have a 2003 XR but I think the procedure is pretty much the same. Start it up and let the bike idle for about 5 minutes. If its colder where you live then give it another 5 mins. Stop the engine and immediately check the level by wiping the stick then inserting but not screwing in the cap, then withdraw it. When refilling, add to the top mark then start and let idle for 5 mins then stop the engine and check for any further top-up.

This is straight from the manual - enjoy!

Dave