handle bar bend(how do u find the one u like?)

im in the market for a set of bars for my rm.the current ones feel a little to high.

now this is a one shot deal,the ones i buy im stuck with till i break em so i want to get it right the first time.the problem i got is that all the bars i look at are all rider bars (Carmichel ect...) or cr high or pastrana low-mx yada yada yada.

i like the bars on my xr4 thier cr high but they got the big bar adapters under them so thier a little higher than normal.

i just wanted to know how every one settled on thier bars.

p.s. im bout 5'6

Ok the best way I can think of it is like this

Do you like your bars to be more like harley bars where they are bent in alot? or like bmx bars where they are sraight? and do you like to lean over a little or have the bars up higher?

If you like the harley bar style then you are gonna want a bend with alot of pull and viseversa for the bmx style. And for the height issue its either low high and I think there might be a mid. I am not sure what the measuerements are for all hte bar bend s but in most catalogues(denniskirk,chaprral,rockymountain) they should say.

Edit: Also for width that is jus how far across the bars are from the left side to the right side ? Some like short bars and some like long bars...

If your current bar dimensions map over to a current aftermarket bar bend, it's easy to compare them with the other bends in terms of +\- rise, sweep, height, etc...

If your current bar dimensions do not map over to a current aftermarket bar bend, measure them to compare them with the other bends in terms +\- of rise, sweep, height, etc...

Check out:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/articles.asp?ID=132

For example, in a Renthal 7/8" bar, there is an 02-04 RM125/250 stock bar listing. It's an R706-01 bend.

Go here:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p2=&s=1&p=529

Scroll to the bottom of the page and find the R706-01 part number and take a look at its key dimension.

Then look for other bends that are either more, less or the same in these key areas of measurement.

If all else fails, call the TT store and we'll have you select the right bar and any needed mounting hardware.

ttr225ttr acually said it pretty well. my bike dose feel like im riding a harly.i need less rise and less sweep. it kinda sucks tho couse im going to have to measure the bars on my bike to find out the #s.

thanks for all the great info. youve helped me solve the riddle of the bars!!

that could be my problem, i have stock crf bars on my yz (my bro gave em to me when he got new bars) and the thing is, i have the bars set REALLLLY far forward. tis to teh point where i can get to the rear bar bolts with a socket, its realllly far forward and i like it liek that, would this be prevented with a bar with less sweep?

that could be my problem, i have stock crf bars on my yz (my bro gave em to me when he got new bars) and the thing is, i have the bars set REALLLLY far forward. tis to teh point where i can get to the rear bar bolts with a socket, its realllly far forward and i like it liek that, would this be prevented with a bar with less sweep?

i think it would fix that problem. less sweep = straighter bars.

Isn't there a shop in your area that stocks bars? If so then it could be as simple as going there, removing your bars, trying out a few different bars while sitting on the bike and going with what you like. You might want to wrap a note card around the bars where they go in the clamp but if your shop has guys that actually ride then they should be very accomodating.

im using the cr highs that came with my applied clamp kit on my cr250..funny thing is, i dont think they're that high, i cant even imagine whar the cr-lows must be like..if they make one:D

i was wondering the same though, i took an inch off each side becuase im so short that it looked like i was riding a bike with 4 ft long bars..lol

Isn't there a shop in your area that stocks bars? If so then it could be as simple as going there, removing your bars, trying out a few different bars while sitting on the bike and going with what you like. You might want to wrap a note card around the bars where they go in the clamp but if your shop has guys that actually ride then they should be very accomodating.

I agree. Would love to go to a MC products show! My dealer only has the same sized bars for the most part. Would also like to try fatter bars. Like you said, wish I could sit down with them all and try them.

Tempted to order one of each type Im thinking of, then return them after feelling them. Be out a little shipping $ but might be worth the ability to see hands on.