Sign in to follow this  

03 CRF450 Lower End Problem

I have been having some intermittent shifting problems for awhile (10-15 hours, I have a meter on the bike) the bike would get stuck in a lower gear and I have to kill it rock it back and forth a little with the clutch in and then it would shift fine, again this was an intermittent problem. The problem seemed to get worse or more frequent. Well today going through some whoops I landed hard on the power a something went. The bike has no first gear and it clicks internally (a bad click) in all other gears even coasting or pushing in neutral. Has anybody had a similar problem? I know I’m in for some gear work and/or splitting cases I’m just trying to get some input to help zero in on the problem. Thanks in advance.

In addition to that question anybody have a good recommendation on a mechanic that is capable and trustworthy to dive into it. Preferably in the Phoenix area but I can ship.

It sounds like it started off as a bent fork or worn dogs/drum. You should have taken it apart then. Yeah, you better get your wallet ready to pay for some gears, forks, shims, clips, bearings and maybe even some shafts. $$$$$$

Before I went looking for a reputible shop, I would drain the oil and remove the side covers and inspect the shifting parts under the clutch basket. The shifter works a few moving parts and arms on the shift drum. The accesable part of the shift drum has a pin for each gear that rotate with a spring loaded arm to shift through the gears. It sounds like a pin broke or popped out of it's slot. If this is the case find the pin or replace it and inspect the rest of the moving parts. If everything looks alright and nothing falls out when the cover is removed then the problem is internal.

I hate to kick a man when your down but we should have a big, giant sticky at the top of ThumperTalk in size 72 font that says,

"If something sounds different or wrong, it IS"

It's sad that about once a week we read about someone ignoring a "weird noise" and then a little later...bike no worky (and 3-4 times more cost to repair than if it was done earlier).

Good luck, bud, I've been there...