Sign in to follow this  

Getting an '06, tell me what I need to know

As soon as I sell my 2005 KX250 I will be getting an '06 KXF450. I am still considering the '07 somewhat, but the shop I ride for is giving me a helluva price on an '06.

What do I need to know before I get this bike? What should I fix right away, what should I watch,and what do you guys that have had the bike for a season now know that I should?

I'm not looking for this to be a thread about why I should get the '07, I don't think the upgrades are significant enough for me to wait and get it.

So please, let me know what I need to know about this bike!

BTW, I'm 6'1", 220lbs riding B class. Next year I'll be riding +25 and I've ridden 4-strokes before so this isn't completely new to me.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

You will need to at least go up to a 5.6 rear spring. Possibly even a 5.8. Hit up Race Techs suspension calculator for a better idea.

I changed the sprocket and chain emmediatly,standard one is soft,watch the rear chain guide,it wears through pretty quick,perhaps some aftermarket mounting clamps for the bars.other than that the bike is holding up very well.enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I will definitely be changing the bars shortly after I get the bike, the stock Kawi bars seems very narrow to me like they were cut down for woods riding.

And I know I will need different springs and those will go on quickly as well :thumbsup:

Hey Matt228,ride the bike like it is first,there was a very good post that said ride it before changing anything,this is good advice.

I agree.

I've actually ridden a few friend's who have them and can already tell what I will need to change just as far as making it feel comfortable. The other stuff like the motor and suspension will be learned through seat time.

there is a thread somwhere about the wrist pin, if you ser# is below 9500 i beleive, check it out and keep it in mind.

Matt, the quick cheap mods to do first are to switch to a 55 leak jet and buy a Quickshot. That will liven up the motor and the cost is under $100. If you get the chance, ride Shuck's bike with the Pro Circuit pipe. He rode mine with the Yosh exhuast and said it has more pull in the mid that his bike with the Pro Circuit does. Jeff and I have the same motor mods, quickshot and leakjet, just different exhaust. Jeff liked the way my bike pulled better than his and you know how fast he is, so the Yosh must be a good pipe. Personally, all I can tell on a pipe is it broadens the power out, I'm not fast enough to get into the subtle differences.

Oh, and get that seat trimmed so you can be just like me. LOL.

Thanks Ron!

I highly doubt I'll be buying a pipe right away, I'm already poor as it is!

And if I'm going to do anything to the seat, it's get a taller one or a stepped one. I've probably got 6" on you!

It was the weirdest feeling riding yours with my knees all high and bars in my lap! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron!

I highly doubt I'll be buying a pipe right away, I'm already poor as it is!

And if I'm going to do anything to the seat, it's get a taller one or a stepped one. I've probably got 6" on you!

It was the weirdest feeling riding yours with my knees all high and bars in my lap! :thumbsup:

It's good, unless you WANT to have children.