Sign in to follow this  

Seized bolt!! ****

Anybody know how to remove a seized bolt from the shroud to the gas tank? The square inset piece turns with the ****in bolt.

Orlando

buy new tank... I had to get one on ebay when mine spun.

Drill it out with a drill bit the same size (or a little bigger) as the shank on the bolt. Just don't get it to hot. The rest of the bolt in the tank will unscrew with a pick or something sharp. I've done a couple and it works great.

Try an impact wrench or put an 8mm socket on your drill and turn it until the plastic starts to melt around the inset. You can then cement the square inset piece back into the tank.

I just went through the same thing. Just bought a Clarke tank. Just have heard about alot of these thing happening.

I like that the Clarke comes in different colors. I just wish they had a stock replacement one for my 03. The problem with the OEM unit is the aluminum inserts on the 05 and up. They gall out really easy and cross thread before you have any feedback from the bolt that theres a problem. Clarke uses brass which I feel is far better for the task at hand.

mines doing the SAME THING!!! wht should u do?!?!?!? i tryed WD 40 all ready

&%$#@! would WD40 do to help, it would help if it was rusted, or tough to get out, but not on a stripped bolt. Try a reversed drill bit, EZ-Out, etc...

I drilled out the bolt and the heat from the drill unseized the bolt before I was finished drilling and I was able to unscrew the bolt.