Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain

Every once and a while my engine will start to make a loud clunking noise around the cam chain area. From what I can hear it sounds like the chain is beating against the guides. I figured the tensioner went bad, the chain got loose, and is now wearing down the guides. I guess I'll have to replace my guides and tensioner. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before? And for those who have worked on the inside of their engine, how hard would it be to replace the guides? Am I better off bringing the bike to the dealer, or should I try it on my own? It's a 04' 150. Thanks.

You will have to remove the head to get to the cam chain guides. This will require removing the engine from the frame. Before you do this, drain the oil and check the screen to see if there is a some black rubbery stuff in the screen that would indicate excessive wear on the guides. If not, turn your engine over to Top Dead Center on the compression stroke and remove the cam chain tensioner to see if it is working properly. It could need replacement. You can get a manual cam chain tensioner from www.tokyomods.com for a failure free cam chain tensioner.

When you say top dead center, you mean pulling the 2 engine plus on the left side and lining the T up like your about to adjust the valves??

Yes, just like as if you were checking the valves, TDC on the compression stroke when both valves are closed.

Ok thanks for the info. I changed my oil 3-4 weeks ago and that noise as been there since I got the bike in April. When I changed the oil it just looked dirty. Didn't seem like there was any sign of debris. I'll check the tensioner tomorrow morning.