Sign in to follow this  

make my dr faster

i'm dying because a 50cc difference between my crf450 and my drz400sm makes a world of a difference. i know they're tuned completely different, but i can't help but be mildly confused when i lean completely over the bars on my crf and a simple blip of the throttle will lift me off the ground versus sitting on the back fender of the dr and pulling with all my mite to barely get the tire off the ground.

i want some torque without sacrificing top end speed (the highways are embarassing enough as it is). please someone help and be realistic. is it worth it to spend 1000 dollars on exhaust mods and hours on airbox and jet mods? as a man who values his money i really don't feel like saving up for something that will leave me saying,"yeah, i kinda notice a difference."

p.s. sorry for the lengthy thread, i'm a windy guy.

yoshimura RS-3, FCR-MX carb, airbox mod should make you quite happy.

then cams, etc. if youre still not satisfied.

i suffered the same feeling and i ride a YZ400F, but you cant compare....just look at the difference in sprocket size between your honda and DRZ. theres a dead giveaway.

ive already done the Yosh, airbox, and rejetted my stock carb and theres a difference already. just got a new CVK40 carb that im gonna put on in the next day or two. so ill let ya know if its worth it. i couldnt afford a FCR-MX...but apparently its the way to go.

Dude, Get the FCR if you want that CRF feeling on the DRZ.

I have both, and the delivery of power on the 400 is very similar to the CRF after installing the flatslide carb. You cannot go wrong. And do the exhaust while you are at it...full exhaust, not just a slip on.

In case anyone is not paying attention, I never said the power was the same as the CRF...I am saying the power "delivery" is like the CRF. First and second gear wheelies on power alone are easy, third is do-able as well if for instance you are at a relatively low RPM and exiting a corner...snap the bike upright while giving it stick and it will come all the way up. With stock gearing, 4th is possible as well, but I admit that I am standing and pulling "hard" on the bars...but it beats having to slow down to third gear to bring it up, then shifting for 4th.