Sign in to follow this  

Ok what's the trick to replacing the flywheel rivets ?

I see this is quite common having the rivets loosen up on a wrf flywheel, so my question is has anyone suggestively replaced the rivets on their flywheel ?

Seems to me that it can be done and considering the cost of a new one, seems like the right what to go................

well looks like the trick is DON'T do it...... now I'm wondering if there are any after market flywheels for the 01 wr250f ? or can you use a stock one off a different year/model ?

Don't want to fork out for a flywheel that's going to go tits in a few years.............

not getting much help on this one are ya? I've not ever checked my flywheel, how did you konw the rivets had loosened?

if you take off the side cover and wiggle the flywheel you'll see it, mine is so sloppy the rivets are moving back and forth. When I kick it over with the compression lever pulled in you can feel it and it makes noise. And when it's running it makes a hell of a racket, I mean scary loud expensive noise so loud you can't here the timing chain almost, and it's lower down and hard to pin point my buddy thought it was coming from the clutch side. The bike runs perfect other wise.

local dealer wants $160 for stock one, and I can't find a aftermarket one, hopefully someone will let me know if there's an alternative to the stock one

Like I said on your other post, bad news. Sorry, but you're going to have to put a stocker back in and hope for the best. I know at least one guy has tried, but I wouldn't advise trying to fix it.

Here's what I did on an '81 pw50, admittedly not the same machine but similar flywheel construction. Drill out the old rivets. Drill three new (larger) holes in the outer shell, offset from the rivet holes. Using suitably sized machine screws, clamp the two halves together using the old rivet holes. Then plug weld the 3 new holes and grind smooth. For further security, you can then install 3 new rivets, but if your welds are good, it shouldn't be necessary.