Sign in to follow this  

oil drain bolt...washer? smr 510

hey guys... just went through my second oil change... 3 days later and there's a puddle of oil under my bike. looks like its coming from the drain bolt underneath the case (the large allen bolt). i tried to torque it up a bit, but seems as though its tight. is there (supposed to be) a washer on that bolt?

hey guys... just went through my second oil change... 3 days later and there's a puddle of oil under my bike. looks like its coming from the drain bolt underneath the case (the large allen bolt). i tried to torque it up a bit, but seems as though its tight. is there (supposed to be) a washer on that bolt?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't over tighten without it :applause::thumbsup::ride:

I was warned that the washer sticks to the case just long enough for your attention to go elsewhere then it falls into whatever you are catching the old oil in!

CAUTION. If you forgot the washer you could be in DEEP DO-DO. Lay the bike on it's side and get a good look if no washer DO NOT try to to take it out as you will pull all the threads off the drain plug and ruin the threads in the case. Best to drain oil out filter cover plate use contact cleaner spray inside around drain plug . Use a little heat(propane torch, heat gun)watch out for gas from carb over flow . Heat will help get oil from around drain plug clean area around plug get it VERY VERY CLEAN. Now silicone over the plug don't be stingy really lay it on. Should be fine until you need to split cases then address the problem. Best fix ( with cases split) machine off head of drain plug, usually into first thread in cases ( first thread gets smashed when gasket is not on, plug has a taper which smashes this thread) then if the stars are all lined up will be able to thread it in removing it on the inside. Draining oil from filter plug is what I recommend only pulling the lower plug every 10 or so changes( Knowing its CRITICAL to use the proper drain plug washer of proper thickness) Also a good time to pull ignition cover and wipe out sludge from inside flywheel use paper towel works best and contact cleaner or gas. Later George

I did the same thing tightened it up with out a washer, and had the same puddle, I just took it out at the next oil change and put it back in! In fact I have actually done it twice :ride: and I've never had a problem with the thread. Could be a valid point but it hasn't been a problem for me! :thumbsup: