Sign in to follow this  

XR250 sputtering when warm

I sure would appreciate some guidance as I'm about ready to lose my mind.

I have a 1995 XR250R that starts cutting out (sputtering) after about 20 minutes of hard riding. It runs great for the first 20 minutes of a ride, but then will start sputtering at about 1/2 throttle. (It does idle fine) This condition ONLY happens when I've been riding rougher (whoops, etc) trails and I'm trying to ride them hard. I've also occurs when I've been following my daughter around the MX track and have been hitting a few whoops and jumps. When I'm just riding with the family, on fireroads, etc, it doesn't have this problem.

Where do I start even looking?????

Your symptoms(cutting out over rough terrain) are typical of a float that has too much travel between minimum and max stops. Set the minimum level to what the shop manual says, then try setting the max drop level for an increase of no more than 5mm.

Ask if you don't know how to do this.

Pilot circuit also sounds rich if it runs ok after start up, then shortly after begins to sputter.

Thanks,

I adjusted the float level (it was slightly off) and reduced the amount of travel. This seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks again

Someone leave out the slosh baffle around the main? It's a white plastic cone.
does that piece just float inside the carb??? i remember when i changed my main/pilot jets, that thing didnt really sit flush anywhere, only had a little "u" grooved out for what appeared was the pilot.. im not sure though

No, it doesn't just float inside the carb. The baffle has little "fingers" that are supposed to grip the jet tower firmly enough to stay put. But this is not always so. You'll take the bowl off and sometimes find it floating in the bowl. I've found that if you'll heat the baffle in boiling water to soften it, then bend the fingers inward so they'll grip the tower better, "set" them with cold water, then it will stay put.

The little cutout in the edge of it is to accept the brass overflow tube in the bowl cover, so the baffle indexes onto the tower in a specific position.

does that piece just float inside the carb???