Sign in to follow this  

Oil Drain Bolt Washer

I have to replace this washer on almost every oil change...or i have an oil leak....

is this common...any one else have this happen??

Thanks

Little bolt or Big bolt? I changed mine for the 1st time today and there was no washer on the big bolt.. ...

Looked up the micro-fish and it calls for one... Guess I will order several.... :thumbsup:

Don't order them. Just go to your local auto parts store. Nothing but a simple crush washer. Copper or aluminum will do.

You can clean the washer you have and lap it with some sand-paper if necessary.

Brass plumbing washers from the local hardware store work too. Plus you can see the brass washer or copper washer. It doesn't blend into the aluminum.

When I removed my bigger drain bolt I also did not see any washer, but when I put it back in it leaked. I had to drain it again and put a copper washer on it and now it does not leak. Havent tried to reuse it yet.

When I removed my bigger drain bolt I also did not see any washer, but when I put it back in it leaked. I had to drain it again and put a copper washer on it and now it does not leak. Havent tried to reuse it yet.

I've gotten a few uses out of one before. After so many uses, it gets so crushed and scatched up that it doesn't form a good seal anymore. I'd say that I get a good 1/2 dozen oil changes +/- a couple out of a washer before its too far gone.

Don't forget that the proper torque value on the drain bolts can be critical for long life. Do NOT over tighten them or you will stress the hole's threads allowing for more leakage or worse, a stripped drain hole.

I have NOT replaced mine, yet! (I torque mine in pound-inches and I use safety-wire)

I've changed my oil more than most folks have RIDDEN their scoot! (Around 25 times).

A reminder: I've only changed -7- Oil Filters...read the book.