Sign in to follow this  

1988 RM 125 seized

My 1988 rm 125 is making a weird squeaky noise after being seized. The engines bottom end was rebuilt rod, big end bearing, main bearings, seals, and the small end pin and bearing. What happened is that i was taking it for the first ride and had it totally warmed up and run it in top end end then she locked the rear end. 2 seconds after kicked it over and it ran. But now its making a sqeaking noise. Also I found out my grandpa put a 80-1 mix in it. I have it at 32-1 now and theres no noise until it gets hot. What could be squeaking? Also there is no movement at all in my crank its is solid.

I was thinkin it was the piston expanding and scraping the cylinder when it got hot.

I would take the head and barrel back off and check. On an 80:1 mix it has probably not had enough oil to lube the bore properly (as well as everything else). It wouldn't have done any of the engine internals any favours but you should at least take the top off and check. Good luck!!

My brand new main bearings are totally gone. I ran it fer 1/2 hr to see if i could loosen it up. Its definetily loosened up lol. You can move the magneto up and down a 1/2 inch. How can u tell if the big end con rod bearins still alright w/o takin it apart? Its still gonna git rppied apart again but I wanna know if it needs a crank rebuildin before I order anythin. Thanks.

Grab hold of the conrod and see if there is any play up and down whilst making sure the crank isn't moving. You also need to know there isn't excessive side play. If the main bearings are as bad as you say, it's not looking good for the rest of it though. Best to strip it and then decide to be sure. At least with the crank out, you'll be able to get a really good look at the conrod and bearing. Is the piston and bore ok?

dude that bike is a ticking time bomb. Older 125's are the worst especially after they seized once before.

The crank is tight its just the main bearings that are screwed. Hopefully the next set of bearings will not have the same fate. Thanx.