Sign in to follow this  

Ever been hassled with out of state plates on your bike?

Seems like I've seen a lot of people over the years with Nevada, Arizona, even Vermont tags on their bikes. Anyone ever get busted for this? I assuming you actually live in CA, CA drivers license, etc.

What can they actually do to you? If you have legitimate registration from another state. Maybe you have family there, and you are borrowing the bike. Maybe you're job moves you around, and you live in both places.

If you have plates there is nothing they can do. I believe regular off road registration is different though. I think if you're gonna ride and out of state OHV registered bike you have to get a permit. Check the CA OHV home page, it has the details on there.

They can definitely ticket you for a non-CA plate if you live in CA - You have a very short time to continue use of an out of state plate in CA- I think it is 2 weeks or something like that. It happened to me but on a street bike.

There is a temporary green sticker provision for out of state - see above.

All said, I haven't seen many people pulled over, except the rangers do check green vs. red sometimes and spark arrestors, also for Forest Adventure Passes in some areas.

The problem comes if you are stopped for something. Then they see your California drivers license. California gets very upset when you live here, but have vehicles registered in another state. They are very very tight about this. When you establish a California residence you have 10 days to register your vehicles here. If you work here then for the most part, you reside here. The only exceptions are if say live in Reno and work inside California. If the registration is in your name then you are screwed. While unlikely, you could be charged with a felony. If the registration is not in your name, you need an explanation why you are riding a bike that is not yours. It needs to be registered to someone else, or perhaps a corporation.

This is much more likely to be an issue if you go somewhere where they check the bike, like Gorman or Hollister. A riding a red sticker out of season ticket is a lot less expensive.

Don't forget us Military members and riders. Which is more likely why you would see an AK or TX tag in your local riding area. I once had, a NM license, a California jet ski and plates from WA state on my truck.... Military don't fall under the same rules... just an FYI.

There is the possibility that you could be "primarily operating" the vehicle in the other state, therefore it should be licensed there. Just make sure your friends in Phoenix or Vegas are OK with it being registered at their address- and you go out there and ride with them a couple times of year and buy them dinner and beer.

What if you have licenses for both states? My parents still live in Louisiana, so it would be pretty easy for me to get a license there next time I visit if I wanted. (I haven't actually checked to see what is involved for registering my bike there, but you get the idea)

Seems like I've seen a lot of people over the years with Nevada, Arizona, even Vermont tags on their bikes. Anyone ever get busted for this? I assuming you actually live in CA, CA drivers license, etc.

What can they actually do to you? If you have legitimate registration from another state. Maybe you have family there, and you are borrowing the bike. Maybe you're job moves you around, and you live in both places.

... I guess I'd need to be stopped to be hassled, however I've only been pulled over once. And it was on this 96 CR500... more or less because they didn't see the plate.

I've ridden with personalized, CA, OR, AZ... to name a few, and never been hassled in my home town of San Diego, CA. :Exuse me:

:thumbsup:

What if you have licenses for both states? My parents still live in Louisiana, so it would be pretty easy for me to get a license there next time I visit if I wanted. (I haven't actually checked to see what is involved for registering my bike there, but you get the idea)

Except for the military exceptions noted earlier, I'm pretty sure that California is not OK with that. I'll bet the Louisiana is against that too.

California want you to, "SHOW THEM THE MONEY!"

The DMV gets really pissed off when you have Nevada or Oregon plates. If you get pulled over for some reason, then show a California drivers license, "Lucy, you have some splaining to do." The CHP use to be very aggressive at getting people living in Tahoe City with Nevada plates. Pick a state to live in, get a driver's license and plates to match the state.

If you are from out of state and riding a motorcycle that is registered in that state, you need no permit to ride OHV parks. If your out of state bike is unregistered in that state (not required), then you need a visitor sticker.

As was mentioned, if you are military, you are government property and can be registered out of state.