Sign in to follow this  

where does the power end up?

I searched around here and a couple other parts of the forum but could find no answer. So here is the question. What happens when you mix a cam set up for more topend gain with an exhaust built for low end gains? I have never heard of anyone who tired it. Use a PC ti-4 lowboy system and a hotcam stage 2 for example. There pretty common around here i guess.

i was wondering the same thing. wouldnt it just be more power everywhere? :thumbsup:

Usually it is softer power everywhere.

Mismatch porting/Cam choice or pipe makes for a peaky power in one direction or the poor power somewhere..

Example 04CRF X cammed with stock head and R exhaust makes for a motor that revs out a tad better but it gets soft on the low end and runs flat at hi RPMs.

04 R cam in the same motor with the X pipe pulls nice off bottom and greatly improved mid to upper mid but signs off on top. Using the R pipe it pulls hard in the mid to upper revs as designed.

i have an 05 with a chm sm1 pipe. i plan on picking up an 06 or 07 head. will my stock 05 cam work or will i need the correct cam to match each the head?

just wondering myself too. :thumbsup:

alright bodyman quick question.....

i have the Dr.D exhaust on my bike. would i be alright throwing in the hotcam 2?

I put a Hotcam in my bike and noticed only a slight difference in power output and that's being nice. I then installed my PC Ti-4 system and felt an immediate increase in power across the power band and it seems to rev much quicker.

I spoke with Ron Hamp recently and he told me that the Hotcam is a very mild cam and he wasn't surprised that I didn't notice any difference. Ron has some cams available but said I would have to run a 14.1:1 piston with those cams. I wish I had bought a Crower Power cam to begin with and will probably end up buying one soon.

I have not tested the DR D pipe or do I have the specs on the pipe to throw it in the software...

We run a Bill's pipe and find it good all over. .5 HP loss at very low revs but 1.5 gain+ up top

As I mentined the Hot Cam worked well and as RHC said it is not as radical as a stock 04 or 06 R cam but it helps the mid range and low end with motors having the large ports as the X models and early R models.

Tom, you may be able to use pump premium and some octane boost for that cam and piston from RHC. the CRF camshaft being as radical as it is, bleeds off alot of pressure and the bike can tolerate static compression like 13.5:1+ on pump premium 93/94 . Ron is tweeking for alot of power and race gas in the proper hands will make some impressive power even in a stocker.