Sign in to follow this  

New to Dirt

Hey guys, greetings from sunny South Africa

I hope someone here can help with some good honest advice (even though this is the Suzuki section!)

I currently ride a GSXR1000K5 - track only, and have an opportunity to purchase an '05 RMZ450 from a friend of a friend. Bike has about 40 or so hours on.

Someone warned me that the big 4 is not a good buy due to the regular maintenance you have to do?

I can get the bike 2/3 the price of a new one and the hours seem low, but do not want to buy problems....

My ony other option is a 2005 KDX200 which I can also get at a really good price - I know, they are very different bikes, but I am merely looking for something to go and get dirty on inbetween road-racing

Is the RMZ a decent buy? Or is the KDX the one? Please help!

I have had no problems with my '06 RMZ. That is the bike i would choose over the KDX. I had a KDX a few years ago for trail riding but the RMZ is way more fun.

Sunny South Africa, sounds kind of like a movie title, anyway if you have any riding skills you will most likely get tired of the KDX pretty quick. The RMZ-450 will be a lot more fun every time you ride.

4-Strokes are no more maintenance than 2-Strokes, check you're valves every 20 hours, change oil every 5, oil filter every 10, and ride. Most the time you won't have to touch the valves for adjustments, pretty much always in spec (at least on Yamaha's they are), and this is where people get the "more maintenance" from, this is my first 4-Stroke (besides a TTR trail bike), and I find it very easy to maintain, I just spend all my time keeping it looking clean. Get the Motocross bike, you will have better technology, more fun, and you will be glad you went with it. If you get the KDX, you will get bored, tired, and wish you went with the RM-Z. Hit up the tracks between road and dirt, you will adapt quick, give it about 3-4 rides, 15-20 hours on the bike, and you will be pretty good. You already know the basics of shifting, and riding 2-Wheels period, so it will just be "fun" for ya.

Good Luck,

Mike.