Sign in to follow this  

KDX200 vs RMZ450

Hey guys, greetings from sunny South Africa

I hope someone here can help with some good honest advice (even though this is the Suzuki section!)

I currently ride a GSXR1000K5 - track only, and have an opportunity to purchase an '05 RMZ450 from a friend of a friend. Bike has about 40 or so hours on.

Someone warned me that the big 4 is not a good buy due to the regular maintenance you have to do?

I can get the bike 2/3 the price of a new one and the hours seem low, but do not want to buy problems....

My ony other option is a 2005 KDX200 which I can also get at a really good price - I know, they are very different bikes, but I am merely looking for something to go and get dirty on inbetween road-racing

Is the RMZ a decent buy? Or is the KDX the one? Please help!

OK - I know this is not the "Suzuki section" - I posted it there first and then realised that the info I get may be slightly biased! In my hasted cut and paste operation I overlooked the "..even though this is the ..." bit.

Other than that I really am of sound mind. Honest. *burps* *drools on shirt*

The RMZ is definitely going to be more maintenance intensive because on top of being a four stroke it is also a race bike. As far as reliability is concerned I have heard that Suzuki's are pretty durable and the KDX is a two stroke so you shouldn't have to worry about it lasting. For just play riding I would say go with the KDX because it will be less expensive and is a great bike for the kind of riding you plan on doing. The 450 is very fast but it will wear you out a lot more and is going to be expensive once you have to rebuild it.

If you want a bike that you can jump anything with get the RMZ. If you want a bike to just ride trails with get the KDX. If I were in your situation I would try and get an oppurtunity to ride the RMZ first and see if you are not just addicted to the power of it right away. The RMZ250 may not have the best reputation but in a dirtrider I read a few months ago they said that the RMZ450 was one of the best used 450's you could buy.

Thanks Guys!

Being new to this, I do not want to buy the wrong bike. Power - my GSXR1000 was dyno'd at 154bhp on the back wheel and I do trackdays just about every weekend, so I am used to quite a bit of power.

That is what some guys have told me - get the 450 coz you are used to big ponies

Having said that, quite a few other guys have told me that power translates very differently on dirt, and that I will be quite happy with the KDX for quite some time..

I can get the 2005 KDX200 for R25,000 ($3,571) and they cost R38,000 ($5,430) new, I can get the 2005 RMZ450 for R36,000 ($5,143) and they cost R55,000 ($7,857) new.

So my next question is - looking at the above prices, which one is the biggest bargain LoL!

PS - I will only ride one or two weekends a month, when not at the track on the K5

As I know sweet FA about dirt bikes, any more advice would really be much appreciated - so please keep it coming

The KDX is one of the most bulletproof bikes on the planet. It will have all the power you need and will be a blast to ride. I spent many years on KDX's in the 90's as well as many of my buddies and I don't think I've ever seen a kdx motor torn down. My old 96 kdx is still going strong with original piston and rings. It's the perfect first dirtbike and is very capable. I raced mine, even ran it at the MX track occasionally.

The RMZ will be a handful. I wouldn't recommend it for a first dirtbike. I guess it would be fine if your going to race mx or ride in the desert but it is not going to be as friendly as the kdx. The suspension will be stiff and it will have rip your arms off power and yes, maintanance will be higher.

I love my KDX it's a very easy bike to maintain and ride. It is a little bit restricted at first but with a pipe it becomes a very good woods weapon. This bike is not for jumping though, the suspension is just not set for that.

The RMZ will have throw you off the back of the bike kind of power and is very fast. You can jump this bike and do MX tracks and such with it because it's an MX bike. It will be harder to maintain though.

Best of luck to ya :thumbsup:

I will tell you the same thing I did in you're other thread...

4-Strokes are no more maintenance than 2-Strokes, check you're valves every 20 hours, change oil every 5, oil filter every 10, and ride. Most the time you won't have to touch the valves for adjustments, pretty much always in spec (at least on Yamaha's they are), and this is where people get the "more maintenance" from, this is my first 4-Stroke (besides a TTR trail bike), and I find it very easy to maintain, I just spend all my time keeping it looking clean. Get the Motocross bike, you will have better technology, more fun, and you will be glad you went with it. If you get the KDX, you will get bored, tired, and wish you went with the RM-Z. Hit up the tracks between road and dirt, you will adapt quick, give it about 3-4 rides, 15-20 hours on the bike, and you will be pretty good. You already know the basics of shifting, and riding 2-Wheels period, so it will just be "fun" for ya.

Good Luck,

Mike.

There different bikes for different purposes

If your going to be doin tight crawling trails and single track go with the KDX but if your going to be riding morw wide open stuff get the RMZ.