Sign in to follow this  

problems with tappet clearence

I have just bought an drz 2001 and I decided to inspect the piston rings and change the water pump bearing... (I forgot to measure the tappet clearence before opening the motor...) so, I changed the bearing and put a new chain cam. The problem is that now the engine doesn´t work . And I noticed that the tappet clearence is smaller than it used to be... it´s too tighet. Why is this happening? What must be done? :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Are you sure you timed the cams properly? You had the motor at TDC with the cams aligned properly (using the timing marks on the cam and measured 15 pins between the two cam marks that point straight up as outlined in the manual? If you tappet clearances are out of spec you need to adjust them with the proper shims.

Clearance is quite stable with OHC and shim type asjustment. But head removal and retorque can affect clearance a little. You just have to measure clearance and re-shim as necessary. Clearance will not prevent it from starting unless there is zero or negative clearance (valves not sealing).