Sign in to follow this  

06 525xc

hello guys,a buddy of mine jusy bought a leftover 06 525xc,he is coming of a 04 525exc, what are the biggest deferences he will see?After his 1st spin around the yard he says it seems like it does not have the bottom of the old bike.Also when he 1st got it home it was puking out the overflow and where it goes into the frame was poring out all over the motor,is these common?I think we will just run a new overflow line down the frame tube like the jap bikes.Also it was popping on decel BAD I went out 2 turns on the fuel screw and it got better but still pops a little,so I guess a bigger pilot is due. It sure seems to me that the bike is running a little to warm,knowing that it is a brand new bike not even broke in yet and a little lean across the board plus sitting up on the bench with no air moving through the rads would this account for the puking? I put engine ice in it,10mm over the fins in the rad

so I guess we will see this weekend.

The jetting needs to be dealt with like you said. Pilot for sure, maybe a JD needle as well. I am not sure what the specs are for that bike as far as jetting, but JD does.

It might have had too much coolant to begin with.

I think your friend should find that the xc should rev a quicker and make really good bottom once it is set up correctly.

The two bikes are fairly similar, except for the tranny of course. Suspension is a bit stiffer as is the frame.

He will have a blast on the big orange beast.

I'm pretty sure the '06 has a smaller rear sprocket which is making it feel more sluggish on the bottom compared to the '04. Also the lean jetting is probably the cause of the overheating, especially if it was happening at slow crawling speeds or idling. The RFS engines especially with factory jetting don't like to sit with no airflow across the radiators. I would try lowering the needle clip one position at a time and ride and re-evaluate the fuel screw setting. My JD kit uses the stock pilot jet so I wouldn't worry about changing it yet. Two turns out from the seated position on the fuel screw should be about max really. Others have had success with factory KTM jetting but most go to the JD kit with the tapered needles.

JD is very good about answering emails too. I had a small problem and he responded back to me the same day and had my bike running so good it was yanking the bars out of my hands. No kidding.

Differences between EXC & XC

EXC is wide ratio trans, spark arrestor & lights

EC is close ratio & behemoth gas tank

Note above about reving faster, that would be the 450, on the 525 EXC & MXC have the same engine. The carb needs a needle with more taper and when breaking in a new bike you really need to aviod grid lock trails, try to keep some air movement!

Differences between EXC & XC

EXC is wide ratio trans, Enduro range gas tank, spark arrestor & lights

MXC thru 05, XC for 06-07 is close ratio & behemoth gas tank

Note above about reving faster, that would be the 450, on the 525 EXC, MXC thru 05 and XC for 06-07 have the same engine. The carb needs a needle with more taper and when breaking in a new bike you really need to aviod grid lock trails, try to keep some air movement!