KoubaLink Questions - which set?

I've read that some people have issues with the 1.75" (DRZ3) Koubalinks, bottoming out their DRZ. Looking for some more feedback on this. Is it a real problem? If so, do you suggest doing the DRZ2's instead of the DRZ3's then?

I have no input to offer but...

I have a brand new in the bag set of DRZ2's that I was going to return on Monday as I ordered a seat instead, PM me if this is the route you want to go and I will sell them to you for $50 as I have to pay a restock fee upon return anyway (and shipping).

Jv

I installed both the Corbin Seat and the 2" KOUBA-Link, can touch the ground with both feet. If you lower the rear shock, it will also be necesary to lower the fork too. I used a TOPAR Racing Top triple clamp, with extended handlebar risers, allows the fork tubes to be raised about 1.5" from the standard setting. Make sure you also get a good skid plate like Tonn's or UtahCycleSport, with the reduced ground clearance, you will need it.

If I do just the 1.25" or 1.75" Koubalink, will I need to do anything else to adjust the ride (not for height, but for ride quality,etc)?

Depends how much you weigh, the links have the effect of making the spring and dampng much softer.

If you are less than 150lbs. you may get a away with it.

I tried the Talon links, which only lower the bike by 3/4 inch, and never got the rear suspension to work properly.

I gave up in the end and had a custom shock built, 10mm shorter shock, lowers the bike by 50mm.

Neil.

?:ride::applause:

I tried the Kouba #2, the bike bottomed badly on me. I increased the spring to a 5.7kg, it still didn't help. I sold them both on TT Classifieds. I then bought a Kouba #1. The bike bottomed less badly, but still wasn't a good ride. So I cut my seat and had my suspension lowered by a pro. 29" inseam, I barely get both toes on the ground. The Kouba, or other brand of lowering links, work great if you aren't a hard rider. But if you push the bike at all, the rear end blows thru it's travel. Here's a link that explains what's going on with the lowering links. And it has a link to some of your other options. ?

I bought a Corbin seat and sold it pretty quickly. It has a downward tilt from back to front, so you slide foreward when braking or going down hill.

I just installed my DRZ3 Koubalinks a couple of weeks ago and have found them to be great. I'm 5'7 and weigh 70 Kg (154 LBS). I have been on some pretty heavy duty trails in the last week and haven't found the bike to bottom out yet. I haven't lowered the forks yet but I plan to in in a week or so. I also have a genuine Gel seat on order. If you don't weigh too much and you're a short arse like me then the DRZ3 will be fine.

Perhaps some relevant info would help? I'm about 5'9" and 175 or so. Inseam is 31/32"

Curious what you weigh to bottom out the #2's since you are only 29" inseam.

I'm 5'9, but short legs. I weigh 175 lbs. Some guys like the lowering links, but for many of us they had to be removed. They really affect the suspension design, changing the compression load onto the rear spring and shock damping valving. Here’s a quote from the Kouba site FAQ’s: “They put more leverage on the rear spring and make the rear more compliant on the small stuff but may require a heavier rear spring to help prevent bottoming if a rider is very aggressive.” A lot of us had bottoming issues. With your long legs, you should be fine with just a lowered seat, or cut your stock one down some.