XR80 XR100 Fork Seal Replacement

I have an 85 XR80R that needs fork seals.

So I've got the thing 90% apart, and I can't figger how to get the seals out.

I loosened the bolt on the dampner rod, but it will only get so lose... and keeps turning...

How do I get these old seals out?

Thanks!

pull the top tube tight all the way out. that screw has to come loose. There is also a circlip that holds the seals in under the dust cover. Soemtimes you have to use a impact wrench to get them to break loose. If not there is a tool you can get to go into the rod down to the damper to hold it in place. There are different ones for different bikes. Some people will say not to use the impact driver. I have never had to in all the ones I have done I just pulled the top tube to get the damper held into place and ratcheted the screw out. Good luck. Its a pain but well worth the effort when you are done the forks work so much better. In every one that I have done the difference of new oil is easily noticable everytime.

I found any easy way to change a fork seal on conventional forks a while back on the net somewhere so I'll briefly describe this method.

First, with your bike on a stand and forks fully extended, remove both fork caps.

Next, add as much fork oil as you can to both forks. Replace both fork caps and snug them up but not too tight, as you'll need to remove them later.

Completely remove forks from bike.

Carefully remove both dust covers and the circlip things from the top of both oil seals.

Now comes the exiting part. You will need these things to continue. A car/truck, bottle jack/scissor jack, a 2X4 and the side of your house or any other immovable flat surface.

The idea here is to wedge your forks(one fork tube at a time) lengthwise, between the tire of your vehicle and your choice of immovable objects with the bottle jack inbetween. Use the 2X4 to span the diameter of your tire and to provide a flat surface for your jack. You then slowly jack or compress your forks and the pressure from the over filled fork tubes will force the seal out.

It sounds involved but actually it was really easy and requires no special tools.

I also made a seal driver by cutting a piece of PVC pipe lengthways and then tapping the new seal in place. You'll need to put something over the end of the fork tube before sliding on the new seal as the tube is sharp on the end. I just used a plastic bag and then carefully slid the new seal over it and into position. Of course draining and refilling your forks with new oil is also necessary at this time.

I now have inverted forks on my XR so this method no longer works for me but I'd be happy to try and explain this method further if my descrition is too confusing.

thanks for the ideas. I'll keep whacking away at it.

It sounds like I'm going in the right direction anyway.

If I can't find something to hold that dampner from spinning while I'm turning the hex cap screw, I'll use the bottle jack, use hydraulic pressure to burst the seals... <--that sounds kinda like something you'd see on Mythbusters eh? lol

Thanks again!

let me help you. this is really easy. put the spring back in and the cap back on ( not too tight)you dont need to put in any fork oil. with the spring in you will be able to undo the damping rod fastner, all the way out. You can clamp the fork tube in a large vice where the axel mounts to get at that bolt and these things can be tight. now remove the dust cover with a small screw driver. remove the circlip with the same screw driver. now take the cap off remove the spring the damping rod and any other parts that come out when you turn the fork upside down. now with one side of the fork in each hand you use the fork slider as a slide hammer and pound out the seal. separate the fork tubes, remove the damping rod stopper in the bottom of the fork lower and clean the whole mess up with gunk then simple green. now put in your new rubber part and reverse this proccess. put in oil and instal them on the bike. easy. you can clean the fork lowers by tying a string to a rag and pressing it into the fork lower with a flat stick 1/4x3/4 ish, turn it around in the lower with the stick, then pull it back out with the string.

Got R Dun!

Thanks for the tips and tricks!

The other tube was easier. (Why is it always that way?) I first removed the cap screw from the bottom, with all the springs still inside to hold the dampner rod.

Man, that was some yucky, stagnant, dirty, nasty crap in there... 20 years of funk. My boy was like.. "wow dad, now I can hit the jumps!" Made all the difference in the world.

Thanks again,

Jody

remove the spring the damping rod and any other parts that come out when you turn the fork upside down. now with one side of the fork in each hand you use the fork slider as a slide hammer and pound out the seal.

I need to replace seals. I can't figure out how to get the old ones out and I don't understand the instructions above. I have the forks apart. The tubes are separated and empty. Help please ?