Sign in to follow this  

Choke Question

Probably a dumb question but...

Removed and cleaned the stock carberator on a 2001 DRZ400S. I now have it re-assembled but not on the bike yet. However, the choke will not stay in the out position, it retracts as soon as I let go of the choke nob. Did I do something wrong or does it need the vacuum from the bike to work properly?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

The choke has 3 positions: Off, 1/2 choke and Full choke. Vacuum has nothing to do with staying in position. The 1/2 and Full positions are held in place with a detent. It has been too long since I worked on a S carb to remember any details. You may have lost a detent spring or ball or clip??? Maybe someone else has worked on one recently can tell you. Seems like maybe the detents are on the guide shaft.

I think you lost the CARBURETOR BALL the little BB used as a detent or stop for each potion on the choke. Sorry to say, but I'm talking from experience.

I had to order a new ball but the spring is probably still in there if you look at the parts fiche up above it's #53. I removed the choke and if you look on the side of the choke housing there is a little brass plug. I drilled that plug out using a smaller sized drill bit than the plug. When the drill bit is through the plug I used the bit to pop the plug out, go slow when you're drilling. Then I dropped the new ball in the hole, put the choke back together and put a little bit of silicone in the hole where the plug was to keep the dirt out of it.

I couldn't find a replacement plug and I don't think you really need one.

I had the ball come out on me before. I didn't have to drill out the plug. Seems to me I just set the ball back into place and pushed the choke rod back in! The choke rod has a big taper on it.

I had the ball come out on me before. I didn't have to drill out the plug. Seems to me I just set the ball back into place and pushed the choke rod back in! The choke rod has a big taper on it.

Now that I think about it your right Roach05. The ball and spring sit down in the choke housing and I only lost the ball. At the time I drilled the plug out not knowing how the thing worked.

Roach05 - Yup, your right. I remember now doing the same thing. If you can guess the size of the ball, you can buy one in most any hardware store that has a selectin of bearing balls or maybe a bicycle shop.

I did loose the little carb ball. Will order a replacement.

Thanks again for the help.

Jeff

I had it happen on my DR350S and had to buy the new chock lever assembly. Look at one of the online parts fiche from Midwest action cycle or Ron Ayers & it will give you the parts breakdown.