Sign in to follow this  

Old woman takes car on sidewalk rampage but SM survives!

:applause::thumbsup::ride::applause:

Another one of those 'kin days (Edinburgh, UK)...

A workmate came in and said I'd better go and check my bike as it was surrounded by a crowd, a fire engine and firefighters, an ambulance and the police... &%$#@!

So I belt outside to find a team of firefighters trying to pry my DRZ-SM from under the mangled wing of a Toyota Corolla where it's wedged in at a jaunty 30 degree angle hovering in air. The Corolla is in a mess, half on half off the pavement with the front smashed into a parked car... and here's the important bit - it had been driving ALONG THE PAVEMENT (sidewalk to you lot outside UK) then come off it and hit my bike and the car

I'm approached by police, f.fighters etc about cutting off the fuel thats running everywhere and help out in getting the steering lock off and other stuff... 5 harrassed mins later the bike is dislodged from the car and I start to take stock of the bike while a nice wee police lady is telling me what happened.

So what happened (accoding to police and ambulance man)...

- an old lady drives to the end of a dead end street and finds she can't go further

- she starts doing a u-turn/3 point turn in the allocated (big) turning area

- she puts here automatic car into (what she thinks is) reverse

- but NO it's in forward drive and she floors it

- she mounts the kerb and manages to turn and avoid the railings and lampost

- now she's driving down the pavement at speed

- she swerves off the pavment onto the road right into the bike bay

- leaving every other bike in place she hooks mine via the right peg

- the peg (WRP RM 250 pegs) rips through her wing like a tin opener, almost taking the wing clean off

- unfortunately this also drags the bike along

- during the above the bike rear wheel and swing arm is kind of under her front wheel

- driving along with bike attached she then hits a parked car, bringing her mayhem to a stop.

- Result = 2 crashed cars, one on/off the pavment and a bike spewing petrol

- Large crown gathers and all the em services turn up.

A few bikers among the services folk there I think from the commiserations I was getting from them... all of whom were of a mind that the old crow shouldn't have been behind the wheel and certainly should never be again after this - even the policewoman agreed on that (which surprised me a bit her saying that publically). Throughout all the aftermath, the old fart sat there on a placcy seat off at a safe distance "calming her nerves".

DAMAGE:

Swing arm bobbins/sliders ripped off 15GBP

Alloy CRD can cracked a wee bit 250GBP for a new one (if I can find one)

Plastics - not a scratch

Handguards - not a scratch

Indy's - not a scratch

But.. worried about straigtness of frame/swing arm

All in all another example of SMs being pretty hardy

After taking ages to start being flooded, it ran fine and seemed to ride straight - the police even let me hoon up and down the road in my work suit with no helmet to see if it was safe to ride

TOOK THE BIKE TO SHOP:

Local shop fitted me in quickish to check the alignments and the front disc/caliper since the disc lock had been ripped round:

- Frame, wheels and swing arm straight

- Swingarm scratched/scraped though (so that'll be on the claim)

Now I'm in the insurance hassle bit of sorting this out - I've contacted hers direct (suggested by my insurers) and we'll see how it goes.

TOTAL Insuarance repair bill from the shop all in cost = 1200 GBP ($2,000+).

Pain the the arse :applause:

But I can laugh about it which is good - and ride the bike. :applause:

Wow! Crazy story......Sounds as if you remained quite calm throughout, not sure I would have been! Carefully document every bit of damage, and insurance should take care of it.....I agree that going to her carrier first should be easiest, not much question of who's at fault!! (I was an insurance nerd in another life, but don't tell anyone.)

Thanks for the good story and the assistance offering us Yanks a lesson in the "proper" use of the English language!!

All i can say is you got off very lucky.

I work for an insurance company int eh Total Loss Deparment.

I see millions of shitty things happen through out the UK. You lucky your not harmed and the bike is fine too!

Thank got we own on of the toughest bikes in the world!

Gotta love the DR-Z!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the story. Glad to hear only machinery damaged and no people got hurt. Take digital pics of every bit of damage on your bike just in case you need later documentation.

Wow that sucks pretty bad. Amazing it still worked after all that. My streetbike didn't fair so well vs. the tree my brother put it in to. My DRZ however survived after I rear ended someone once though. Definitely tough bikes.

I hope you use the insurance money for more bike upgrades :-)
That's the plan :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your bike mate , i have to agree thou that so many of the older driver these days on the roads should be banned as they cant control there cars properly any more , Just my view on it .

What mods you going for this time around? :thumbsup:

damn dude these drz's are bullet proof

Sorry to hear about your bike mate , i have to agree thou that so many of the older driver these days on the roads should be banned as they cant control there cars properly any more , Just my view on it .
Not just your view - even the police at the scene agreed. The driver and her husband must have been in their late 70's or even 80's I think.
What mods you going for this time around? :thumbsup:
Since the exhaust will be getting replaced due the the crack in it, I'm thinking of going for a full yosh system. It's a a CRD Absolute Perfomance II on it just now and the thing is I like the angle it sits at - very very high and at an angle - rises above the fender.... but I can't get hold of one anywhere in the UK since there is no UK distrubuter anymore. ... so may just go for the yosh (even though it doesn't site at such a nice clean/high angle). Not sure what else I'll be doing/getting yet.

:

- leaving every other bike in place she hooks mine via the right peg

- the peg (WRP RM 250 pegs) rips through her wing like a tin opener, almost taking the wing clean off

- Indy's - not a scratch

Wow! Dang old people, we should make them prove they are able to drive every year after 60.

Ok frm wathing the BBCA channel I can get most of what you are saying but what is a "wing" and an "indy"?

Glad your bike is not totalled. :thumbsup:

Wow! Dang old people, we should make them prove they are able to drive every year after 60.

Ok frm wathing the BBCA channel I can get most of what you are saying but what is a "wing" and an "indy"?

Glad your bike is not totalled. :thumbsup:

A Wing is the front side of a car, in between the front grill and front wheels.

Indys = Indicators ( turn signals )

A Wing is the front side of a car, in between the front grill and front wheels.

Indys = Indicators ( turn signals )

Gottcha. Sometimes I think we speak different languages. smirk.gif

Gottcha. Sometmes I think we speak different languages.

Hahah I'll agree to that one!!

:thumbsup:

CRD Exhaust in the UK. and here.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, lets hope it gets sorted out quickly.

Neil. :thumbsup::applause::applause:

Cheers, but looks like the Absolute Performance II has been discontinued and that's the only model that sat at the very high mx style angle :ride:

Yeah... I was thinking along those lines - get an RS3 then had the link cut and rewelded and the same with the mount to get that high angle look :thumbsup: